music album compilation advice (1 Viewer)

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello,
im trying to make my music collection a lot better.
I am currently testing out ez cd audio converter to rip my cds and tag them.
i been using - <Disc Number> - <Number> <Track Artist> - <Title> for filenames and converting into .flac
ive ticked compilation disc and entered the info disc 1/3.
im writing id3 tags both version 1 and 2 (2.4).

im using 1.3beta mepo (great product people).
i have setup my views as per the sticky in this forum album artist etc.
but when i goto the view in mepo its showing my now thats what i call a no. 1 albums discs as individual albums, so disc 1 is classed as a seperate album to disc 2 and so on.

Can someone point me in the direction im going wrong please?

file structure is as follows -
music\various\Now That's What I Call a Number 1\1 - 01 Adele - Someone Like You.flac

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
ok after a night long battle i realised what was causing it now, under the album title tag i hadnt realised it was adding disc 1 or disc 2 or disc 3 at the end and so thought they were different albums, once i removed this disc 1 etc tag from the files then the album is correctly as 1 album! ! yeah lol

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
do you find that when viewing by album but sorting by artist that the various albums are not sorted next to each other? Eg Now 1 disc 1 is not followed b now 1 disc 2 etc. The albums by the same artist (or various artists in this case) are not in a logical order. Would be interested to know if the tagging methd or disc number you use have any effect on the order displayed.

Cheers,
Colin

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
hi sorry for delay, if i use ez cd audio convertor to rip and tag the music at the same time then mepo shows the artists then the album and then the cds in there expected order ie disc 1 - 2 - 3. and im using id3 tags both version 1 and 2 (2.4).
Ive found paid for music downloaded from sainsburys entertainment is tagged correctly in the same way mepo expects them and saves a bit of time.
if you want a screen shot ill upload one for you no worries.

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
hi sorry for delay, if i use ez cd audio convertor to rip and tag the music at the same time then mepo shows the artists then the album and then the cds in there expected order ie disc 1 - 2 - 3. and im using id3 tags both version 1 and 2 (2.4).
Ive found paid for music downloaded from sainsburys entertainment is tagged correctly in the same way mepo expects them and saves a bit of time.
if you want a screen shot ill upload one for you no worries.

screenshot would be great. However, please could you view by album, then sort them in artist order all your various albums are together (under various aritsts) AND in the right order? Eg now 67 disc 1, now 67 disc 2, now 68 disc 1, now 69 disc 2 - ie all albums in the various artists are listed alphabetically? This is how I stack my real CD's on the shelf. Also screenshot of all tags displayed so I can see which tag I'm missing? I'd love to get this sorted as its been a pet hate of mine for ages!!

Last edited:

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
yeah they are displayed like you want will post some screen shots after dinner today when the wife has gone to work.
not many in my list at present as making sure and re tagging a lot of stuff but you will still see it working as you want :)

Last edited:

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
ok as promised this is my mepo using titan skin and xmas theme.

At the moment there will not be much in the way of albums as im in the start of retagging as i can now see the benefits too a better tagged library, a lot of work but will pay dividends :)

So pic 1 is straight off the music menu frist level

firstlevelmusiclist_zps172b7b1e.jpg

as you can see there ordered by album artist which now work well

now i have clicked on various artists to show you the albums ordered in that category as i think you want them

secondlevelmusicbigicons_zps9835382a.jpg

once again you can see the compilations in the correct order (so far)

I have now clicked on an album where it now shows the discs within the album again in the correct order, distinguished by the disc number to the right of the screen.

Thirdlevelmusicorderbydisc_zps30c329cd.jpg

In the last image you can see the track listings inside a disc which are also listed correctly in numerical order the same as they would be on the disc.

Forthlevelmusicorderbytrack_zps99a6c463.jpg

my folder structure as said before is as follows -

d:\music tagged\various\Now That's What I Call a Number 1\1 - 01 Adele - Someone Like You.flac

in the filename the 1 = disc number then track number/artist/track name/.flac

so i also have -

d:\music tagged\various\Now That's What I Call a Number 1\2 - 01 Rihanna - Umbrella (feat. Jay-Z).flac

and you will see the disc number is now 2 followed by track number/artist/track name/.flac

so no seperate folders for each disc as i find there not required if tagged correctly.

Hope this helps and i will upload some more pics in a bit of the program im using to rip and tag the music files and some of the settings i am using.

Last edited:

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
Hi,

Please could you screengrab after you view by "album" rather than "album artist"? This is how I want to sort music. Then you may see the same problem I'm having.

Last edited:

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
byalbum_zps177d54ae.jpg

Like this?

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    "Album View" by default is ordered by Album name, but if you go into the side menu you can change 'sort by' to 'artist'. (If that's what you are asking)

If you want to change it so that Album view is always sorted by artist rather than album name then you can change the settings for the album view in mp config.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom