Music database setup - no thumbs or music info (1 Viewer)

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
July 31, 2013
Suffolk
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've finally got around to trying to get my MP1 music system confirgured. Problem is that I just don't seem to be able to see any track thumbs or album related images. The music plays okay, and I can see the basic folder/album/track listings - just no images. Actually, I do have just a few images for about 1 in 20 artists/albums but that's about it.

I've tried configuring the music database using MediaPortal Configuration, and it says that it's synched about 8000 (see attached screenshot mp1music01) but still very few images actually available. See attached screen-shot 02 of my MP1 music view for Pink Floyd.

I've provided my system setup under Robs-PC. Can't see any obvious problems in error logs etc but can provide these on request. Can't find any similar problems in the MP1 Support forum so my last resort is to raise this post.
I must be doing (or not doing) something really stupid as I do have a few images appearing.
I also have Fanart Handler configured (correctly or otherwise) but hoped that the basic MP scraping would do the job.
Tried configuring Live.FM to scrobble images but that just made my MP1 session crash (when starting new track once finished previous track) as it just couldn't get throught to my Live.FM account despite trying to configure it using MpediaPortal Configuration. In the end, I disabled this Last.FM and it solved the crashing problem.

Not sure where the music database is located (can't see it in my XAMPPs PHPMyAdmin) so guess it's not SQL
Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• mp1music01.jpg
    mp1music01.jpg
    83.7 KB
  • mp1music02.jpg
    mp1music02.jpg
    136.4 KB

dholroyd

Portal Member
November 30, 2007
Home Country
England England
I have the same problem - after years of just using shares (word fine but no media), I decided to get the db sorted.

I ran 'Update database from selected shares' and it seems to read files up to 800 then goes through thumbs and and stopped at Busted 7/22 - not sure if it has frozen of is just finished - I click on OK and the window closes. No I go to Music in Mediaportal and it tells me I have 21 albums but I actually have 965 in the relevant folder.

Obviously its user error - anyone out there have any ideas.

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    This option may be causing your problems: "treat tracks in an individual folder as an album"

Uncheck this and run the database scan again.

Also note that MP does not get images from the internet and will only use images that are available with the tracks been scanned.

dholroyd

Portal Member
    November 30, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks Pog. Sorry for the month or so's delay.
    It did make a bit of difference in no much as the database import looked a little more active but that was it.
    I wandered if it was a tagging problem, but I have compare albums that ave been imported and ones that haven't and they look the same.
    I use Mp3Tag - one look at MPTagthat scares me.

Any more thoughts

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hey dholroyd,

I use both MPTagThat and Mp3Tag for my tagging. I have around 25000 tracks in my library mostly lossless flac and I've been careful to make sure tags are good and use high quality cover art from my own scans or what I've found on the net. It's tedious work but I figure worth it for the long haul.

I store music like this on my hardrive: Music/<artist>/<album>/<song>

music-lib.JPG

Next I tag an album with MPTagThat (Mp3Tag is better for big batch work but I find MPTagThat better for individual albums)

music-tag.JPG

The AlbumArtist tag is important as MP uses this to group albums together.

I usually have cover.jpg and folder.jpg (same image) in folder containing the tracks. I also add (embed) the cover to the tracks via MPTagThat.

Some of this is probably overkill but I figure this is worth the work so that any software now or in the future can use the tracks without issue.

dholroyd

Portal Member
    November 30, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the quick reply - I'll put it on the list for the weekend.

I'm a complete amateur, but to me it seems that MP Moving Pictures and TV Series nails it but music is still in the dark ages - Fan Art Handler (assuming you can get you dB to work) is rather outdated? - or an I wrong?

David

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Yup - wish there were more developers with a love for music!

Fan Art Handler mostly works for me but I haven't given it much attention and the developer of that plugin has not been seen for some time now.

dholroyd

Portal Member
    November 30, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I cracked it! My music database doesnt like to be stuffed with 10,000 files all at once. when I fet it 1,000 at a time it was happy.

Thanks fot he help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom