Music on Headphones (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If I plug headphones into the jack on my HTPC and play music the audio continues to play through the speakers via the AVR and I get nothing on the headphones:(. This despite Win 10 indicating that the audio device has switched and navigation sounds, TV and video audio all come through the headphones and not to the AVR. In fact TV, navigation and video audio will dynamically switch to the headphones when plugged in and back to the AVR when unplugged. The only way I can get music (also TuneIn radio) on the headphones is to close MP 1.23 plug in the headphones and restart but if I then unplug the phones and try and play music again I get the error shown in the screenshot below and must again restart MP to clear it.
    music.jpg
    I am sure it should be possible to get music on the headphones without having to restart MP every time, maybe I have something wrong in my settings???:unsure: I use LAV for everything and " Default direct sound device" is set for all codecs and Music. Windows audio is set for 5.1 and I bitstream everything in LAV. The audio quality on the headphones using the HTPC jack is superb unlike that from the jack on the Denon AVR which although claims to be stereo sounds more like 5.1 on just the L and R and is very low volume, I have never managed to improve that even with Windows set to stereo and PCM to the AVR.
    Please note in the attached log I did attempt to use MPAR for everything except TV, but it made no difference to the problem with Music.

Hope someone can help me solve this.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_30_10_19__12_50.zip
      768.3 KB
    Last edited:

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi joe,
    there is (or was) a plugin that made it possible to change the audio outputs within mediaportal... called audio switcher
    but i don't know if it still works

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    there is (or was) a plugin that made it possible to change the audio outputs within mediaportal... called audio switcher
    but i don't know if it still works

Hi DA
    Thanks for that, the plugin is still compatible with MP 1.23 and functions OK but unfortunately it does not fix my problem. With the Music playing and audio going through the AVR, if I plug the headphones in and use the Audio Switcher and select them it continues to play via the AVR:(. Interestingly if I restart MP with the headphones plugged in since the default device in the Audio Switcher is the AVR, if Music is again played it does go there but if I then use the A.S. and select headphones it does indeed switch to them but will not switch back even if I unplug the phones, I must restart MP to get back to the AVR.
    I am going to revert to MP 1.20 to see if any recent changes caused this.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No change using MP 1.20 so back the 1.23. If, however, I select the "Internal dshow player" in MP Config/Music (see screenshot below) then the Audio Switcher plugin will switch music playback between AVR and headphones perfectly, however it is no longer required as following the change both music and TuneIn radio will now, in line with everything else, also automatically switch to the headphones when they are plugged in and back to the AVR when unplugged.:D
    music2.jpg
    The problem is present when either the default "Bass player" or "WASPI player" are selected, no idea if there are any negative implications in using the internal dshow player but it does seem there may be a bug in the Bass and WASPI players.:unsure:

Last edited:

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    very interesting but strange that it only works with dshow. i use mepo music way too rarely.:D

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    help
    The problem is present when either the default "Bass player" or "WASPI player" are selected, no idea if there are any negative implications in using the internal dshow player but it does seem there may be a bug in the Bass and WASPI players.

Oh dear, sadly :cry: I have discovered a negative aspect of using the internal dshow player. That is if I select an album to play in music and start playback on any track, playback stops ant the end of the track rather than continuing on to the next. Ihave not been able to find any setting that selects continuous play and if I go back to the Bass player without changing anything else the same album will play one track after the other.

Help please:(:(:(:(

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @joecrow, your switch come from your driver, so in case you play with MP, the protocol used to support best is maybe directshow filter .

you must i think , set this :
    upload_2019-11-19_17-34-46.png

and be sure, than you default sound device, is your actual card.
    something else :
    upload_2019-11-19_17-35-32.png

stop playback is not checked.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @joecrow, your switch come from your driver, so in case you play with MP, the protocol used to support best is maybe directshow filter .

you must i think , set this :
    upload_2019-11-19_17-34-46-png.202911

and be sure, than you default sound device, is your actual card.

Those are the settings that were used as in the OP, the default sound device is the AVR and that does/can not change (Windows Sound Control Panel will not allow me to set the headphones to be the default even when plugged in) but on plugging in the headphones the "Headphones (High Definition Audio Device)" is shown to be selected if I click on the speaker icon in the tray.

upload_2019-11-19_17-35-32-png.202912

stop playback is not checked.

Checked or unchecked does not change the problem.

The HDMI Audio driver for the Denon AVR is from AMD (recent version for vid. card) and I use the default Win 10 driver for the High Definition Audio Device, I could try the Realtek one if you think that could help.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I still have this problem with Win 10 2004 and MP 1.25, I had been waiting waiting for the new version of the Pure Audio plugin in the hope that it might fix it but on a quick test it seems to make no difference.:(
    Help!

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Update the latest version of Pure Audio installed ok but did not change this problem:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom