Music Sort Option Needed (1 Viewer)

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi hwahrmann,

I'd actually like to be able to firstly display albums as coverflow to make use of my folder.jpg in each album folder, but sorted by album artist. A bit like how you might sort CD's on a shelf. Ie you can see the album covers etc but they are sorted by album artist. The reason I would like album artist is that it will put all the various artists together. I have a lot of NOW That's what I Call Music albums etc so these would all be stacked up as various artists and hopefully disc 1 followed by disc 2. Hope that makes sense....

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Did you try setting up your views like this: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-to-the-music-section-of-mediaportal.77404/

I have, and I can show albums sorted by artist (except for compilations and songs featuring a guest vocalist/musician, all my artist and album artist tags are the same). When trying this right now, I can't find anything off, so I guess that "sort by Artist" actually uses Album artist. All my compilations are shown like you describe as well. Well, almost. The Artist sorting takes precedence, meaning that while all Various Artists' albums are side by side, a series aren't necessarily shown from 1-10 or whatever. :(

Emph

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Did you try setting up your views like this: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-to-the-music-section-of-mediaportal.77404/

I have, and I can show albums sorted by artist (except for compilations and songs featuring a guest vocalist/musician, all my artist and album artist tags are the same). When trying this right now, I can't find anything off, so I guess that "sort by Artist" actually uses Album artist. All my compilations are shown like you describe as well. Well, almost. The Artist sorting takes precedence, meaning that while all Various Artists' albums are side by side, a series aren't necessarily shown from 1-10 or whatever. :(

Emph

If I choose Album view and sort by artist, the various artist albums do indeed appear side by side but I think if an album has the same artist then I would like to then sort by album name, this would put all the albums from the same artist in alphabetical order but more crucially would mean the various artist albums are in the correct order eg Now that's what I call music disc 1 would be followed by disc 2, rathr than random order of various artists. Is it possible to have a secondary sort to sort all albums by the same artist in album name order?

I guess the question is what is the secondary sort when more than one album is listed for an artist? I can't seem to work out what MP is sorting by within the same artist??

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'd like to know if a secondary sort is available too. :) I really like how sorting is handled in iTunes for example, where you can sort in many different ways, combining more than one criteria.

Emph

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The problem is that we have a bit of a mess on sorting.
    Ideally the sort should be done by the underlying database query only.
    However once the rows are returned and put into the GUI, then the GUI sort options are done, which could do a complete re-oder on what was delivered by the database.

i don't think that this will be easy to fix at all. i know that Mike was once looking into that and it was a nightmare.

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    The problem is that we have a bit of a mess on sorting.
    Ideally the sort should be done by the underlying database query only.
    However once the rows are returned and put into the GUI, then the GUI sort options are done, which could do a complete re-oder on what was delivered by the database.

i don't think that this will be easy to fix at all. i know that Mike was once looking into that and it was a nightmare.

So its not so easy to apply a secondary sort "by album name" after music is already sorted "by artist"? I think this is whats needed to order the albums correctly?

What is the secondary sort at the moment? Or is it just random?

Last edited:

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    How do I report this as an issue/request to be looked into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom