Completed My Aluminium case (1 Viewer)

nicsergio

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    beautiful, better than one built in series.. (y)

some time ago I too have built a case (for NAS), but the only thing similar to your project is the power button :LOL:

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've only just seen this!

OMG.. that would be my perfect HTPC case, it's stunning...

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Woaw, stunning and very well done!
    It's a pity that the pictures are not available anymore in your start post.

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @Peter2 ,
    thank you for your hint. All the links were broken, because there were problems with my server.
    Now everything is fine again.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Marcus Venturi: you are welcome!
    Can you please elaborate a little on that amplifier?
    I have an old amp that I'm thinking of replacing it and I love the idea of integrating it with the HTPC but I'm not familiar with electronics. In case I will go in that direction, I know someone that can help me with it.

My initial idea was to replace the old amp but seeing your solution made me curious.
    I like it a lot to have less clutter/devices and that the amp switches on/off together with the HTPC
    Searching for that type you used showed me that it's a lot cheaper then a complete new amp.
    A few questions out of the top of my head:
    1. what is the quality of sound compared to a 'normal' amp
    2. does 'class D' represent that quality
    3. aside from the needed boosted voltage, is there a lot difference in these converters
    4. how is the amp connected to your mobo
    TIA

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. If there is not sound, the speakers have relative quiet noise, but that's due to the fact, that the PC motherboard produces a lot of noise. But I can only hear it when my ear is right in front of one of the speakers.
    2. Class D means, that it is a digital amplifier. A digital amplifier has a very high efficiency.
    Just read this Wikipedia article to get a basic understanding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier
    3. To get the right DC-DC boost converter just check if it covers the needed target voltage of your ampifier (in my case 24V) and of corse the desired power (in most cases 100-150W should be enough).
    4. The amp is connected via the internal front panel audio connector on the motherboard.
    See this link for more Information about the port: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-015851.htm

On the following picture you can see details of the audio cabling:

Amplifier.jpg

From the audio connector (1) a cable goes to a ground-loop-isoloator (2) and then to the input of the amplifier (3).

The ground-loop-isolator is necessary to filter PC-typical noise.

For more Information on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheath_current_filter

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I connected it with a soldering iron. First I removed the front panel of the drive and then I soldered the wires directly to the contacts of the original button.
    It must be done very careful, because the contacts are very small and there is risk to damage the drive electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom