Completed My Aluminium case (1 Viewer)

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Impressive! I did not know you can do such perfect detail on a custom case. I thought only main line producing factories had access to this type of equipment. Everything fits perfectly! And you make it sound so easy.

Please give us an overview of your experience, education and background. I'm betting on some type of electronic engineering, with a hobby in programming and natural eye for designing!

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, (the other way round is right) I'm a software engineer with a hobby of electronic and hardware engineering (studied computer science 20 years ago). ;)

The hardware skills come from model making, another hobby that I do since my childhood days.

Here is an example:

The body was self-made with glass fiber fabric and epoxy resin is already 20 years old and was already a bit damaged. It was constructed by a friend with the help of Auto-CAD.

Last year I ugraded it to the latest engines available. The aluminium plate on top was again constructed with the software I mentioned in my first post.

It is driven by 2 water-cooled engines with total 1.6 kW power. The maximum current is 60A. The energy comes from 2 LiPo's with 5000mAh and 18.5V.

Finally a re-painted it in a color called "Candy Orange", which looks fantastic when the sun shines on it.

RaceBoat.jpg

This the project I'm currently working on (since the last 4 weeks):

It's a camera controller that allows to do funny things with a DSLR camera. I soldered the boards by myself and customized an aluminium case. I took the same illuminated buttons as for my MediaPortal case.
    It is already working, but not fully functional as I still have to solder some sensors...

Photoduino.jpg

You can find more information about this on: http://www.photoduino.com/

You will find me always working on a project. ;)

Last edited:

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @mediacowboy: All my paintings are added in the ZIP-file at the end of the first thread. The rest is in my head, which I can't share. :)
    I started this by painting some sketches on a paper and verified it again and again against the dimensions of the parts I wanted to integrate. Then I started constructing a case with the front-panel design software. That's all. One possibility to check a design would be to build a prototype with balsa wood, just to see if everything fits. Setting up a case as mine is no cheap thing, mine costed approx. 700€.
    So in most cases one should first look if something existing can be somehow redesigned to fit one's needs - as I did in the first step.
    If you then come to the conclusion that you want an all inclusive case (amp, speaker switches, display etc.) that should be as small as possible then you should try doing something on your own - as I finally did.

@TommySharp: Perhaps someone in the forum with more time than me and some experience with 3D construction software could start this. Currently I spend most of my time with the Auto3D plugin I started for MediaPortal.

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Most impressed by this build and the services Front Panel Express offers. Can you order just one piece for a design? In that Front Panel Designer software pricing starts from "5 to 9". How much did you pay Front Panel in the end?
    It seems you did a lot of work with your "tap and die set" as quite a few screw holes are missing from your designs. Is that correct? Where did you get the feet?

Here is my HTPC build with standard case:
    http://slion.net/view/Dev/UltimateHTPC
    Thanks for sharing your experience it makes me feel like trying to design my own case next time.
    That Front Panel Designer software seems to be only suitable for flat designs though. So you had to specify the 3D aspects in your PDF right?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I see Front View Designer says almost 700€ and in truth it's probably a bit more cause you needed some pieces multiple times. That's a rather stiff price for an aluminum case. Beautiful work though.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is stunning and just what most htpc enthusiasts would dream of, you should feel very proud and you are clearly very talented, Well Done You (y)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you running MP on that box, Lenclud?

I'm just busy setting it up. I've been using DVBLink and WMC for a couple of months but I was rather unimpressed. Doing DVB-S scans right now. I live in Germany and have Sky Deutschland subscription. I'm hoping I can get all channels just like on the Sky receiver cause DVBLink or the DD drivers never really managed to provide them all.

If I'm happy with MP I'll look at support for that VFD display and maybe improve it if need be.
    Already did some work on that VFD for another project:
    http://slion.net/view/Dev/OpenHardwareMonitor

I guess I would also open a new thread to show of that build of mine rather than hijacking this one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom