My first foray into 64-bit (1 Viewer)

Program.X

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Hi all,

I have committed myself to building a PC capable of running MediaPortal. I am tech savvy, but mostly software - and the last time I built a PC was when PCI was top of the range, so please bear with me!

I want to buy the PC piecemeal, and "phase in" MediaPortal - phasing out the existing gear as necassary.

My first step is the mainboard and processor. I have been looking at:

ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=ASUOA03X0U

Which is a 64-bit board. Is this too much? If I buy this, I take it I will have to have a 64-bit OS to go with it? How much support will exist for 32-bit apps? Will MediaPortal still work using a 32bit .NET Framework?

Assuming this is the board to go for, can I assume I can buy any LGA775 processor? Also, what sort of fan will I need for this?

Alternatively, if someone can point me to a futureproof 32-bit board/processor that comes with onboard stuff (which I will use for the time being) it would also be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    From what I understand, MP should work ok on a 64bit operating system, but you won't get any benefit from that. It will stll run as a 32bit app.

Your big problems will be due to the fact that most TV cards haven't released 64 bit drivers yet.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Program.X said:
    Hi all,

My first step is the mainboard and processor. I have been looking at:

ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=ASUOA03X0U

Which is a 64-bit board. Is this too much? If I buy this, I take it I will have to have a 64-bit OS to go with it? How much support will exist for 32-bit apps? Will MediaPortal still work using a 32bit .NET Framework?

Hi, the board seems very nice indeed. Is 64Bit too much? no, not really. The truth is it doesnt really matter. Both Intel's and AMD's 64 bit Processors (with the exception of the itanium) can also natively execute 32 bit code. So, no you dont need a 64 bit OS for it. you can use one, but you don't need to. If you were to use Win XP 64 Bit edition, you might have trouble finding drivers for all your hardware (especially the tv-cards I think), but you can run Mediaportal. Personally, I have an A64 and still run the 32bit version of Windows. Why? 64bit only have benefit if the apps (newer games are though, to some extend) are compiled especially for 64bit. Since 99% of all applications out there are not, your Windows XP 64bit edition will have to emulate a 32 bit mode in order for your applications to run, which, in effect, slows down your applications compared to running them on the 32 bit Version of Windows.

Now, once Vista (next version of windows) comes along sometimes in Q4 2006, I expect alot more applications to be targeted for 64bit. so by that time, you'll be ready by having a 64bit capable CPU. Most processors nowadays have 64 bit, so it's just something you get, not really something you need right now (although it is nice to have as an extra).

Program.X said:
    Assuming this is the board to go for, can I assume I can buy any LGA775 processor? Also, what sort of fan will I need for this?

Generally, yes. Unless you go for the very very latest model, in which case you might have to update your bios. But usually you don't have to worry about that.

What type of fan? Depends very heavily on the CPU you choose. Generally, the higher the Frequency the more cooling will be required. Also, different cores get hotter than others, etc. You will want to get one with a large fan (80-120mm) in order to avoid a loud htpc, because they can spin slower.

Program.X said:
    Alternatively, if someone can point me to a futureproof 32-bit board/processor that comes with onboard stuff (which I will use for the time being) it would also be very much appreciated.

I don't mean to sound like an AMD fanboy here, but I would really recommend either an Athlon64 or a Sempron64, depending on your budget. Why? They run alot! cooler, support dynamic undervolting and underclocking which saves alot of energy and heat and are generally cheaper. Also, there seems to be alot more choice as far as chipsets and motherboards are concerned.

Hope this helps for now. I'm making some htpc decesions myself right now, so I know its all very overwhelming and confusing. So feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Inker

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hiya

I recently got an AMD 64bit processor and installed Windowx XP x64 Edition
    i made sure i got a Gigabyte mobo, as they have pretty well developed x64 Win XP drivers, available easily from their site, i was also lucky to find printer beta drivers on www.planetamd64.com ..my nvidia AGP card has x64 drivers....im thinking of getting a new Dvico "Dual Digital" TV card for this PC but i belive they are not making x64 drivers...however the 32bit ones work just fine apparently....so now now everything works as normal

Its pretty sweet for 64bit games like Far Cry and UT2004(which have 64bit patches u can download from their makers websites) but does actually run many CPU/GPU heavy games (like Quake 4-only 32-bit) slower than normal Windows XP

The new M$ Framework .NET 2.0 has just been released in both 32bit and 64bit..providing for those with normal WinXP and WinXP x64, also i believe that .NET 2.0 also allows for compiling MP in 64-bit :)

i cant wait to see that day

i did some research into what codecs (if any) support x64...it seems at the moment there are only 32bit codecs, however FFDSHOW and MOONLIGHT-ELECARD are both planning on releasing x64 drivers..its just a matter of time now

Program.X

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2005
    Ramsey, Isle of Man
    Thanks guys, most insightful posts.

So my plan is to go with that board and a suitable CPU. I was going to hang on till Vista came out, but I can upgrade piecemeal this way and hopefully end up with a system that might just manage to draw the latest MS window decorations.

I did look for boards that support Athlon, as I have no real concern either way between AMD and Intel, but it seems that the boards available do tend to be cheaper, and therefore, sacrifice the optical audio out - which is essential for my configuration. (I want a decent board, and then I will turn off the features as I buy better hardware - eg. a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card)

So, I will first buy the CPU and Mainboard, knock that into my existing ATX chassis, get a fan and hopefully my existing DDR RAM will work (I know it will be slower) and I should be ready to go. Shame a new copy of WinXP Pro costs nearly as much as all of that little lot combined!

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Program.X said:
    I did look for boards that support Athlon, as I have no real concern either way between AMD and Intel, but it seems that the boards available do tend to be cheaper, and therefore, sacrifice the optical audio out - which is essential for my configuration. (I want a decent board, and then I will turn off the features as I buy better hardware - eg. a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card)

I am going for this one I think soon (when ComHem gets Kanal 5 digitally)
    Asus A8N-VM CSM, nForce430+GeForce 6150, Socket-939, m-ATX,GbLAN, Firew, PCI-Ex16 http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.asp?sku=313691&view=detailed SEK990:- (<€100)

If you get SPDIF running, your soundcard model doesn't make any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom