my fix for Hard drive accessing causes stutter (1 Viewer)

ting

Portal Member
February 8, 2005
Sandvika, Norway
Home Country
Norway Norway
Symptom:
Stuttering and freezing during tv playback, and to some extent video playback. Seems to be the result of hard drive accessing.

Short version:
Cause Irq: conflict/sharing between wireless pci card (dlink g520) and gf 6200.

fix
Change the location of the wireless card.

Long version:

I tried disabeling a lot of programs, with some improvements.
antivir xp
speedfan
daemon tools 403

rolling back the ide driver to the xp default one (I use Sata, but who knows with windows) :roll:

The problem was irq sharing between my wireless card dlink g520 and the gf agp card.
When I disabled my wireless card in windows, no more problem. (to test this I only had to right click on the network icon and select disabled, don't think a reboot was necesarry )

To check weather sharing is a problem for you, go to start--> all programs-->accesories-->system tools and click on system information.

expand hardware resources
click on conflicts/sharing

I had gf6200, realtek onboard lan and dlink on the same irq.
After switching pci slots for the g520, my problems were all gone.

And the aplications I disabled are re enabled without causing problems.

Hope this helps.

And perhaps the moderator would like to include this tip/fix in another post so that the forum doesn't get too cluttered up. :wink:

ting

Portal Member
February 8, 2005
Sandvika, Norway
Home Country
Norway Norway
You can also give the AGP an exclusive IRQ by bios or registry...

Using the bios doesn't work well for me, to many different variables. As for the registry, I have no idea how to do that.

Perhaps you could give some quick instructions on how to do it?
Perhaps shuffling around pci cards is not an option for all of us :)

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
IRQ

You can reserve irq foe a specific pci bus in bios ..
This is the best way to do it.. If you start moving around the card automticli give you drivers for the card assagned to the bus in the system...
Best way to mess up the system...

May be you can check properties undr hardware device... I have possibiliti to move irg on my zyxel card.. If you gone do it this way you have to turn off automatic setting for the card

ting

Portal Member
February 8, 2005
Sandvika, Norway
Home Country
Norway Norway
Ok, i'm not gonna try, since mp now works :wink:
But anybody with the same problems, have gotten an idea of the different options to fix the problem. :lol:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All

If anyone installing PCI card read motherboard Specs first as they will point out shared IRQ's to avoid conflicts.
    If youve got something you hardly use as in modem for Fax/answering it dont matter if it shares IRQ but main ones to avoid are TV card, Graphics Card for obvious reasons and yes AGP share IRQ's with PCI slots,
    If you aint got a manual get model of motherboard and search manufacturers website.

Good Watching and no stutters

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom