My guide to elminating juddering/stuttering play back (plus an upscale guide!) (1 Viewer)

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Does this postprocessing configuration should be repeated in tv section?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried to use ffdshow rar filter for postprocessing but I think it was not enabled for TV?
    Does anyone got it working for LiveTV?
    Thanks! =)

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you use a regular monitor it should be RGB/0-255. Only TVs might require YCbCr and/or 16-235.

And this is general for the TV when it can't handle RGB/0-255 correctly. It is just what your display's video processor can handle. If it is only with some codecs and the rest is fine, you do adjustments inside the codec.

The RGB32 conversion in ffdshow just makes sure that the full RGB range is send to the renderer and nothing gets lost during what the GPU renderer does. This is just a precaution, so that nothing gets cut of before the picture is send to the renderer.

The NV12 in/output you usually get from MediaPortal is fine for the renderer, too. I just like to be sure I always send the same stuff to the GPU to avoid any potential issues with some codecs. Especially on my development machine where I do experiments now and then.

With RGB32 I provide the full color range of a video to the video renderer. Nothing will be cut of, nothing will be added. The rest is up to the GPU. But as said NV12 is fine, too. Not going into explaining the differences of the color formats here. So consider the to RGB32 setting an optional step. It doesn't change the colors, only the format. And from experience all GPUs I ever came across like RGB32 the most. But as said, consider this setting optional to avoid issues.

The GPU driver decides after the renderer has rendered the picture based on the display settings if it should send the colors in RGB or YCbCr format and/or limit the color output if necessary. This happens AFTER the renderer and just defined the capabilities of the display itself.

So does that mean that ffdshow or LAV can and should only have RGB32 ticked for the Output format and the GPU driver can then change it to YCbCr if necessary?

And can and should the Output Levels setting in ffdshow or LAV just be set to 0-255 and then the GPU driver can convert this to 16-235 if necessary or must this setting be correct for the display being used in both the codec settings and the GPU driver settings?

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No need to only check RGB32 as possible outputs. It is the preferred format you want to send out. If - for whatever reason - this is not possible let ffdshow decide. So no need to do anything here. Keep the defaults. Just select your preferred output and you are done. Same for LAV. We do the postprocessing in ffdshow. No need to customize more than needed in the codecs.

If for a TV you do YCbCR and/or 16-235 with the GPU just keep the output to 0-255 in ffdshow and for LAV just don't let it do anything with the color range. The ffdshow postprocesing will do everything. Keep the setup simple.

Holzi: I don't use MP for TV. So I can't help your here. You probably need to add .ts to the extensions or create an own profile for it. Just a guess though. So it's up to someone else to help you out here.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    No need to only check RGB32 as possible outputs. It is the preferred format you want to send out. If - for whatever reason - this is not possible let ffdshow decide. So no need to do anything here. Keep the defaults. Just select your preferred output and you are done. Same for LAV. We do the postprocessing in ffdshow. No need to customize more than needed in the codecs.

I don't see any way to set RGB32 (or anything else) as the "preferred" format/output in ffdshow or LAV. Are you suggesting that if everything is ticked, it will "prefer" RGB32 automatically and only use the other formats as fallback in case RGB32 doesn't work?

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For LAV only you probably only have to check RGB32. Just give it a try...

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Holzi: I don't use MP for TV. So I can't help your here. You probably need to add .ts to the extensions or create an own profile for it. Just a guess though. So it's up to someone else to help you out here.

Thanks!
    Maybe I have disabled .ts completely in ffdshow and thats the problem? I will have a look..

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    For LAV only you probably only have to check RGB32. Just give it a try...

Sorry but I don't understand that. If ffdshow should have everything checked so that it can fallback to something else if RGB32 can't be used for whatever reason, surely LAV needs the same? The problem is that LAV doesn't have a "preferred" setting, unless perhaps it has RGB32 hardcoded as preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom