My Hardware, what you think (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You need a better (more powerful) video card - a GT430 is a good choice for nVidia, for AMD I'll leave others to suggest.

That said, the HD3000 GPU on the 2500K may be good enough on it's own anyway, but I've no personal experience of it.

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    You've got a socket 1156 CPU in a socket 1155 MB for the client - not compatible (and the older socket 1156 CPUs are slower than the current Sandy Bridge chips)

The server MB+CPU seems a bit pricey/overspecced for what it needs to do.

Tony

lilrichie

Portal Member
    July 11, 2010
    Home Country
    Tony,

If i am being totally honest i don't really have a clue, so many new CPU's and Mobo's since the day i was building computers i kinda lost touch, i had a crack at it and was hoping maybe someone could offer some advice or change it around for me?

I wanted to have it future proof and be able to play 1080p and rip a dvd at the same time without compromising playback quality that kind of thing.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    OK - do you really want an all-in-one (singleseat) system or a server + client ?

For the singleseat/client, a mid-range Sandy Bridge (Skt 1155) CPU with HD3000 graphics is probably the best balance of cost/power/performance at the moment. I'd go with PD's suggestion of starting with the on-board HD3000 graphics, but allowing for a video card later.

For a TV server machine, it's more about disc space, enough slots for the tuner cards, and a gigabit network interface than CPU power (but I'm a singleseat user, so not the best person to comment on this)

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom