My Hardware, what you think (1 Viewer)

lilrichie

Portal Member
July 11, 2010
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Okay, maybe i should start small and work my way up, i have changed the specifications around on the spreadsheet again if i just add in a nice hard drive this should be a nice setup right? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkyxOet3pAwudEpjd2lnN3JiTWE3el94SHJDNC1XX3c&hl=en_US

I don't know much about TV cards, we don't have a terrestrial ariel here, i use the sat dish to bring our freesat content into a freesat box, can this be plumed into the PVR in some way so that recording could happen?

I am greatful for all the help, sorry for all the questions.

Rich

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Yep, looks OK in general - although I'd probably go for a 2TB drive (not much more expensive, and you can never have too much space).

No knowledge of sat cards - strictly terrestial Freeview here :) - but plenty of people use them for Freesat so have a good look around the forum for suggestions.

Tony

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi lilrichie

Regarding tuner cards: I'd encourage you to get a dual tuner if possible. The TeVii S480 is going quite cheap at the moment -->here<-- - works okay for me. Other moderately priced options would include the TBS 6980/6981. There are also options for USB if you need to go that way, but they would tend to be single tuner rather than dual tuner.

mm

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I don't know much about TV cards, we don't have a terrestrial ariel here, i use the sat dish to bring our freesat content into a freesat box, can this be plumed into the PVR in some way so that recording could happen?

The only way you could do that is analogue signal from box to a analogue tv card, which is bad compared to having a dual dvb-S2 tuner inside your server or client, then get nice HD channels ;)

Ignore the motherboard I pointed you to as ATX, not MicroATX, which you require for case, plus you have now explained your needs a bit more, I would also drop down to a i3

Asus P8H67-M Intel H67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Micro-ATX Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION ** []
    MSI H67MA-E45 new B3 stepping - H67MA-E45 (B3) - Scan.co.uk

Regarding i3, for the HD3000 graphics you need a 2105 or 2125, all others are the HD2000.

ie Intel Core i3 2105 3.1GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache.. | Ebuyer.com

Regarding hdd, 2tb samsung F4's running nice and cool\silent here, at under £60, great value per gigabyte.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Just to add my 2 pennies... Im looking at building a new system as well (which is how i ended up looking at this thread!) and was also looking at incorporating the new i-processor chipset architecture for its onboard GPU goodness (HD3000). Its supposed to be the next best thing in onboard gfx and i pretty much came to exactly the same conclusion as you PD... Intel i3 2105 ftw.

I was actually scratching around for suggestions for a socket 1155 motherboard, ill give your links a try.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    long term reliability goes out the window, any mobo failure is usually down to a capacitor blowing, hence make sure that you have good components on it to start with.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    long term reliability goes out the window, any mobo failure is usually down to a capacitor blowing, hence make sure that you have good components on it to start with.

Someone should inform Apple. Ive already had to repair 2 imacs in my department at work for this very reason! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom