My Netflix 2.0 Alpha (Trial version for those who dare :) ) (2 Viewers)

A.D.I.D.A.S

Portal Member
May 4, 2010
Minnesota
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I can not even register at that other site I always get an error after I click save login info and continue.

***update....they fixed the issue

I'm guessing this does not work with the newest release 1.2.2. I cannot get my instant queue to play anything. my instant queue programs show up but will not play.

Any ideas?

A.D.I.D.A.S

Portal Member
May 4, 2010
Minnesota
Home Country
Ok, I got it to work in 1.2.2 but the remote is not working to stop the video. I can only pause a video hitting the enter button on my harmony 300.

I really hope there is a solution to this as this is a great program!

Update....Microsoft remote is also not doing as stated in first post...unless I'm missing something

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    i'm also confused by this necessity to sign up to another website just to get the same service i already signed up for...?
    what benefit is there to this additional process?

Hey Statick,
    The plugin is currently in Alpha, when it reaches Beta you will be able to register through the plugin.

Thanks

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    hi, thanks but that doesn't answer my question - i'm not complaining about having to visit a website to sign up. my question is why do we have to sign up at all? what is the purpose of this registration? be it through a website or the plugin itself, there is a registration - why? what benefit does this bring the end user? what does myreeltalk.com actually do? none of this is explained. since i can use netflix without also using myreeltalk.com, why must i now use myreeltalk.com to use netflix in MP? can this not be made optional?

sorry to sound like a complainer, i just really don't understand what this is about. nothing else in MP asks me to register an account anywhere. not even MP itself. it just seems to be an additional layer of complexity which is not needed. and it seems this way because i have no understanding of what it is for!

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    hi, thanks but that doesn't answer my question - i'm not complaining about having to visit a website to sign up. my question is why do we have to sign up at all? what is the purpose of this registration? be it through a website or the plugin itself, there is a registration - why? what benefit does this bring the end user? what does myreeltalk.com actually do? none of this is explained. since i can use netflix without also using myreeltalk.com, why must i now use myreeltalk.com to use netflix in MP? can this not be made optional?

sorry to sound like a complainer, i just really don't understand what this is about. nothing else in MP asks me to register an account anywhere. not even MP itself. it just seems to be an additional layer of complexity which is not needed. and it seems this way because i have no understanding of what it is for!

No worries, your not being a complainer, just dont understand how things work. Let me explain...

In order for ANY system to connect to Netflix servers, you (the user) MUST first give said software authorization to do so. This is required because lets face it, the plugin would be of no use to you or anyone else unless it connects to Netflix to get your Instant queue, Disc queue, etc...

As with the first version (1.x) of My Netflix, when you create an account it connects to Netflix and if the credentials are Okay, Netflix sends My Netflix back a token to use to access youe queue information. This information is stored on your local computer in a database in the MP folders, so whenever you access your queues, it send the original token along with the request to get the information. 1.x was also created to connect directly to Netflix to get your information (Instant Queue, Disc Queue, etc.) on the fly. So when you hit the 'Instant queue' option in the plugin, it would then connect directly to Netflix to get your information. This can be VERY slow if you have large queues.

All that to say this.... The myReelTalk website and the 2.0 version of the My Netflix plugin is the next 'evolution' of the plugin. The myReelTalk website was created mainly be used by Netflix users (non-MP) to share information with friends and family via FAcebook, Twitter or Google+. It also cache's your information so it can be accessed quicker in a local database. This is a benefit so you can access all your queue information on multiple clients. Since the website has all the features most asked for in the 2.0 version, I decided to use it as the backbone to the new plugin.

I understand many people on MP will not want to use the 'Social Networking' aspect of myReelTalk and only want to use the features of the My Netflix plugin, which is great as I am trying to please all audiences here. But creating an account is required simply to store your Netflix token information and to cache you queues. Please keep in mind that NO INFORMATION will be shared unless you want it to be shared. Dont authorize Facebook or Twitter and nothing will be shared.

Also, just as FYI, the 2.0 plugin is accessed via an SSL webservice, so all information sent back and forth is secure.

I hope this answers your question or you at least understand why an account is necessary.
    Wile E.

sl33p3r

Portal Member
    July 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Not having search capability was driving me crazy, so I decided to go back to v1.4. After doing so I cannot get a movie to play. The instant queue shows up just fine, but when I try to play anything I get a NetFlix error. It hangs at 7%, and then says there is an Internet Connection Problem, with error code: N8106-152.

I have 2 MediaPortal machines, and I only upgraded one of them to v2. The one that I did not upgrade is still running 1.4, and it works just fine. I have also compared the files between the two machines and they all match.

What do I need to do to get version 1.4 working again?

Thank You,
    Dave

mattyb8562

Portal Member
    February 17, 2012
    Home Country
    Not having search capability was driving me crazy, so I decided to go back to v1.4. After doing so I cannot get a movie to play. The instant queue shows up just fine, but when I try to play anything I get a NetFlix error. It hangs at 7%, and then says there is an Internet Connection Problem, with error code: N8106-152.

I have 2 MediaPortal machines, and I only upgraded one of them to v2. The one that I did not upgrade is still running 1.4, and it works just fine. I have also compared the files between the two machines and they all match.

What do I need to do to get version 1.4 working again?

Thank You,
    Dave

If you haven't fixed this yet see this link:

My Netflix 1.41 instant play failing

Matt

mrmattmc

Portal Member
    April 27, 2012
    Home Country
    Is this thread still alive?

Well here I go with some feedback. Its a little long winded, but hopefully informative.

I am new to MP and over the last few weeks have gone from discovery to modifying skins to my own needs. All in all great fun. All of my my media is now accessed through MP with the only holdout being Netflix.

I use the PS3 and other than the dependency on the PS3 network have no real complaints except that my other media is not available to me.

MyNetflix Plugin 1.4.1 I was able to throw together a customization for Black Glass Nova HD that works great and looks good. Here is a link to some early progress I was making. I stopped progress while trying to find a cure to the tvseries issue.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/wip-help-with-a-skinning-problem.107706/

That forum post says it all. And as it turns out it seems to be the one of the primary reasons for revamping the plugin.

MyNetflix 2.0 Alpha

Following the setup instructions I was able to get this working on a Win 7 64 bit os with no problem. I understand this is an Alpha release.

As I toyed around in 2.0 in the defaultwide as well as a new customization for Black Glass Nova I noticed a few things. Note:I have high speed cable @ 30MB.

The background fanart image and the video preview window are slow to load. I also noticed that no art would load until you hovered over an episode. Returning to the same episode and the art loaded fairly quickly, however, when you went to another tv series that art would be stuck on the previous series until art was found for the new series episode you were hovering over, if new art isnt found then you end up looking at art for another series alltogether while browsing episodes for the new series. Overall the fanart seems hit and miss. Perhaps I have a fanart plugin thats messing this up. I have Fanart Handler and Latest media handler enabled but neither seems to feed art to netflix, least they have no setting too anyway. Personally, I would prefer covers and epsiode covers to the video preview window. Random background fanart is cool but being able to switch it off and go with posters would also be nice.

These do not seem to work. Probably just an Alpha thing but thought I should point it out as I was trying to get cover art to load for series in my customization with no love.
    #episodecover
    #detailcover

I know there was an in depth discussion a while back on whether the details screen should come up for movies and episodes. I know the jist of that conversation was no. I have to disagree. The navigation feels incomplete without the details. Perhaps make it a config option. Details Yes/No. I would strongly agree with the viewpoint that movie navigation needs to behave like mymovies plugin and tv navigation needs to behave like tvseries plugin.

Navigation. In the 2.0 That I tested only the list view was functional. All of the left menu options did not work and I was unable to switch to filmstrip or thumbs view. I understand that perhaps this is a limitation forced by the need to drill down into episodes and that would be unfortunate. One of the great features of MP is the ability to use cool filmstrip and thumb views to navigate your media. I would encourage you bring back these options. If its just an Alpha issue then I eagerly await the beta.

I hope this feedback has been helpful and encourage you continue your efforts. If this plugin can be smoothly integrated into MP it will truly be one of the best platforms to bring all these media options together. Can't see paying the playon fees just to access my netflix service via MP.

P.S. would love some feedback on my 1.4.1 customization problem ( the link above). Truly, if the nav could be set to switch automatically from filmstrip or thumbs view to listview when you select an item it would solve half the issues with 1.4.1. I could probably live without title-season-episode navigation as long as the view automatically changed. The skin is set to highlight watched episodes so its easy to browse to the next one.

Many thanks

Matt

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    So, we got Netflix 1.4 that doesn't work and isn't updated, and we got 2.0 that is in Alpha-state and with no news on development in 3½ months. Which one should I stick to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom