Completed My new livingroom (1 Viewer)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
November 9, 2008
Arendal
Home Country
Norway Norway
Ok guys, i've recently come to learn about something called CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). This is a signal/bus in the HDMI that makes the devices communicate. I'm just starting to dive into this topic, and hoped some of you had/have some experience with it. As my htpc is concealed inside the dvd shelf, i was hoping i could send signals to the TVs ir-input, trough the hdmi and into the pc. That way, all the mce-remote signals will be passed trough to my computer, and my lg remote will be dealt with within the tv. lets call that step one, and then configure a universal remote next. But before i get all excited, is this even possible? I don't want my computer to shut down when i'm powering down my tv, i want an own button for that.

So far, i've enabled LG SimpLink on my TV, but i have no clue on where to start on my pc. Btw, running Win8Pro, sporting a Intel HD4000 IGP...

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not currently possible. Also I'm pretty sure cec only works with the tv's remote, ie you can use the tv's remote to control a raspberry pi.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    oh cool didnt realise someone made a cec plugin, I'd still go for an external IR receiver, because you have access to more buttons.

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Interesting, but sad that i would need an adapter. But, are only a few buttons programmed to go through the HDMI CEC? It's no problem using a Logitech remote as a LG remote, hopefully with more buttons. Then i can remap the buttons as i want. I don't need so many buttons for MP, and for my TV, i need Source/Input and Power toggle...

rockard

March 16, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry for waking such an old thread, but I feel I need to try and urge you to get an adapter. It's awesome! It doesn't take much room and works really good. On my Samsung TVs remote, every button triggers a CEC event. I use mine in Linux, and I can map every key press to an action. I haven't tried it in Windows, but as long as there is a CEC plugin, you should be fine.

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    No, that's quite all right, i'll definately look into that :) I'm also about to replace the TV with a LG 55LM860 :-D

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Like your clean look! From the looks of it, your couch must be very small or pushed against the wall on one side? Would you be willing to share a few other views of your living room? I do like your clean look! It's amazing what you guys can dream up!

Why are you upgrading your TV again? (47"-55" can't be that much of a difference?)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The TV part of my living room isn't that big, about 330 cm from the TV wall to the wall behind the couch. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, and love the new spotlight i recently installed. The reason for chaining the TV is tat i just read in a newspaper that the average Norwegian TV is about 46-50", and i "must" be better than that, lol. Also the TV is a bit buggy, probably fw which is up to date, but that wall is big enough to fit a 55", even bigger. I don't want to overdo it, so i think 55" will be a nice fit, but it's important wit a narrow bezel.

Took this image with my phone:
    dsc01971q.jpg

...i know, the tables aren't permanent, lol.

Last edited:

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Ah! This gives a nice perspective of what it would feel like enjoying your setup at YOUR home. That room looks cosy with the sun coming through the window.

I agree that a small bezel is almost more important that a larger screen. I've noticed that the Samsung Smart TV's have very small bezels. But they are also a lot more expensive in South Africa than the standard Samsung TVs, although the standard ones also have a small bezel, just not in chrome finish.

For the joke I thought I'll share my setup (it needs a lot of work):

IMG_2626_r4.JPG

Notice the roll of CAT5 on the floor! Oh and check out the 23" screen... from 4 meters the print on the screen (in Media Portal) is quite hard to read. The table is an old dining room table of someone else that they are storing in our house... I'm allowing it while I don't have another table to put the PC on. The floor needs a new "dressing". My wife has a tendency to leave her shoes wherever she takes them off. The 2 cubes are used to put our legs on when we sit on the couch (we normally leave them in front of the couch, but my wife decided to put them under the table this morning.)

IMG_2627_r4.JPG

Oh the curtains are too tall for the rail heights, so they don't "hang", and looks terrible.

Haha, not me nor my wife is very "good" at keeping things neat. Or good at doing a bit of in-house décor. Money is also short, so we can't spend any currently on new furniture or other décor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom