My picture /networkshare w/o write permission = crash (1 Viewer)

imported_KRA

Portal Member
March 19, 2006
Windows Version: WindowsXP SP2
CPU Type: AMD X2 3800+
Memory: PQI 2x512MB
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2
Motherboard Chipset: Nforce3 Ultra
Motherboard Bios: latest
Video Card: Geforce 6600GT
Video Card Driver: 81.78
Sound Card: nforce
Sound Card AC3: nforce/spdif
Sound Card Driver: nforce 5.11
1. TV Card: FloppyDTV
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: BDA 2.3 lite
2. TV Card: Hauppauge
2. TV Card Type: PVR350
2. TV Card Driver: ??? not relevant
Video Codec: Intervideo (windvd7)
Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio
Satelite/CableTV Provider: CanalDigital (Thor sattelites)
HTPC Case: N/A
Power Supply: 550W Hiper
Remote: MCE
TV: 37" LCD 1368x768
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA

I have My Pictures stored on a network share, without write permission. This cause MP to crash instantly when entering My Pictures. If I give the share write permissions My Pictures work fine.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    like ronise said, please attach the logs.

which view do you used when accessing the networkshare? Maybe this is caused when MediaPortal tries to create the thumbnails.

imported_KRA

Portal Member
    March 19, 2006
    I tried the test tool but couldn't get it running. The start test button was greyed out.
    (Unfortunatly?) my network share is now changed so I have write permissions, so I cannot reproduce the problem either right now. I do remember though there was a error.log, and it stated something about "out of memory", unfortunatly the error log is gone (deleted when I restartet MP?)

I guess the theory about writing thumbnails is the correct, since it doesn't have permissions to wright something goes wrong when it tries to write the thumbname file.

I can setup a new network share to reproduce the problem, but I don't have much time right now, just thought I'd report the problem.

Just like some other problems I have posted, I'm sorry if I can't back up with more info, but I like to report the problems as soon as I see them, and I will come back to them if I get more time, maybe in the upcomming holiday. This bug isn't really a big problem anyway. DVB-S stability is a much higher priority on my testing/reporting list of things todo.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    KRA said:
    I tried the test tool but couldn't get it running. The start test button was greyed out.
    There is no "start test" button.
    please read the very detailed manual

KRA said:
    Just like some other problems I have posted, I'm sorry if I can't back up with more info, but I like to report the problems as soon as I see them,
    and here comes the testtool in place. if you encounter a issue:
    1. close MediaPortal
    2. start the TestTool
    3. enter your Nickname
    4. click at the "Step 2" Button to export the logs
    5. report the issue and attach the logs

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Can not confirm.

Even with icons/filmstrip view on a read-only share created as "Z:\" drive or \\192.168.0.2\Pictures, it works fine. The 'Create Thumbs' function works also. So as expected the thumbnails are created in the MediaPortal\Thumbs folder.

The only remark I can make is that 'delete this file', doesn't give any nice error "unable to delete this file, check write permissions", but that's cosmetic.

imported_KRA

Portal Member
    March 19, 2006
    I cannot reproduce the problem with SVN from yesterday.

This was a NFS share though, not a normal windows share. I do have one problem with NFS shares though, Windows Explorer needs to "view" the shares before MP can view them. If I start MP directly when the computer boot the shares come up empty. But if I run windows explorer first to view the content of the shares, then MP will find, and "refresh" the shares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom