Completed My Shuttle HTPC (1 Viewer)

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
Brocklander said:
wishywashy said:
I am really surprised that is doesn't get hot with everything packed tightly together.

CPU sits around 54 degrees celcius, graphics card core is 55 with 50% fan speed, and the case is around 43. Of course it may be smoking hot somewhere where there isn't a sensor :D

Hi Brocklander,

I have a really similar set-up to yours, but my machine is pretty noisy - too much to have sitting in my living room.
I'm assuming from your post that you use the Shuttle utility for the V3 (Cool 'n Quiet?). Do you use any other utilities to control the fan speed/noise? If so, which ones?
The Shuttle one is not available for my V2!
:(

I'm sure my CPU temperature is cooler than yours - in the 40s, but my fans are probably all running at full speed, all the time.

My spec:

Shuttle SN95G5V2, Athlon64 3200+, Seagate Barracuda 200GB, 1GB Crucial DDR, Compro DVB-T TV card, ATI Radeon 9600 256MB graphics.

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
This is my REAL computer - if I'd spent even a third as much on the Media Center computer as I did on my Mac I'd be recording 130 channels simultaniously from a Russian spy satelite hovering over the North Pole, compressing them to 6 different formats in real time - while it cooked me dinner Razz

You are quite funny.... :lol:
That TFT is BIG :shock:

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    alexeix said:
    I have a really similar set-up to yours, but my machine is pretty noisy - too much to have sitting in my living room.
    I'm assuming from your post that you use the Shuttle utility for the V3 (Cool 'n Quiet?). Do you use any other utilities to control the fan speed/noise? If so, which ones?
    The Shuttle one is not available for my V2!
    :(

I'm sure my CPU temperature is cooler than yours - in the 40s, but my fans are probably all running at full speed, all the time.

Our setups are very similar! All I've set is the fan speed to Auto in the BIOS, it's not completely quiet but it's very, very close! By comparison, our Playstation 2 sounds like a small hurricane crossing the room. I haven't installed any extra software outside of what came in the box from Shuttle.

The temps are low enough to let the Auto setting keep the fans spinning slowly, but remember I also have a Leadtek 6600GT (the quietest fanned GT) spinning away at half speed thanks to Riva Tuner, and a pair of big hard drives sitting on top of each other with just some strips of padding supporting the top one - the screw holes don't line up to let me mount the drive properly.

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    So how does Media Portal run on your set-up? Smoothly?

I've re-installed it on my Shuttle, but I'm having some problems (which I'll post in the main forum). Do you find the application takes a long time to switch between minimised and full screen? Does it appear to hang if you try to access a configuration wizard while the main app is running?

I don't think it's running as well as it should. I think the CPU should be powerful enough, but as you're running the same one, it'd be good to know if your machine has performance problems.

I was over in NZ in January - awesome place!

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't have any lag when maximising it, but that may be due to our graphics cards, and yes everything hangs for a few moments when launching configuration. Otherwise the thing copes fine, although MP is slowly falling apart at the moment as I haven't upgraded from RC2 yet.

NZ is great, although I wouldn't mind swapping you our weather for a few months!

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    Okay, I might try using the overdrive feature of my graphics card. Maybe I need to crank it up.

This is the posting about the other problems I've noticed (in case any of them are familiar to you!)...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=15863

I installed Media Portal last year, but just messed around with it. Now I want to set it up properly and actually use my PC as a proper media centre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom