My Video questions (1 Viewer)

pieroxy

Portal Pro
November 21, 2005
Paris, France
Disclaimer: I am a Windows MCE user. I am trying to evaluate MP for an eventual switch.

So the following is probably a huge mix of bugs, features requests and stuff I missed.

I think the My Video side of things is a bit rough.

1. I like a lot the ability to press the info button and getting stuff from IMDB, but why did it have to be that slow and modal? Once I click on 'i', I'm in for at least 20 seconds where MP just does not respond to anything (mouse or remote). Then I select the movie and it downloads a bunch of stuff like all the actors. Again, It can go as high as 1 minute where you cannot do anything else.
2. When I visualize info on the movie, I click on "Cast" and then on the right arrow (to move to the next/previous page). From there, it is impossible to get the focus back to the menu on the left.
3. Why is it taking so long to download actors information when you can't click on one to get any further details? Or is it possible?
4. When viewing a movie, one can click on Ffw and Rwd to get forward or backward on the movie. During the time it goes forward (or backward) the movie is choppy to a point where the feature is almost unusable. I see a frame every 10 seconds... I have a Sempron 2500+, it this the problem?
5. When pause is pressed, nothing indicates it. In MCE, the OSD is shown with the length, current position, etc... displayed. That's really nice.
6. The mute button, while working, isn't indicated anywhere in any form of OSD.

Thanks for your feedback!

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

which version of MP did you test? Points 5 and 6 do work in latest test versions (you probably should wait until 0.2. final release).

Do you use overlay or VMR9? Second one is the best choice. Overlay is somewhat buggy.

1) This happens only once on the first lookup. It depends on your internet connection. You can speed it up a little with Setup->Movies->IMDB. You can disable OFDB and FRDB if you do not want foreign information.

2) Could be a BUG

4) Depends on your used codec

Flip

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France
    FlipGer said:
    Hi,

which version of MP did you test? Points 5 and 6 do work in latest test versions (you probably should wait until 0.2. final release).

Do you use overlay or VMR9? Second one is the best choice. Overlay is somewhat buggy.

1) This happens only once on the first lookup. It depends on your internet connection. You can speed it up a little with Setup->Movies->IMDB. You can disable OFDB and FRDB if you do not want foreign information.

2) Could be a BUG

4) Depends on your used codec

Flip

Thanks for your reply. I use a 0.2.0 test version, but I don't have the file at hand. Downloaded it sometime last week-end (around the 20th). I'll try to update.

I didn't know about VRM9/overlay, so it's probably the default option right there. Will try to change it.

1) I agree it happens only once. It's still a bit painful not to be able to cancel it, this is all. All operation that can take more than a couple of seconds on a regular basis should be cancellable IMO. This is a basic UI rule. I'll try to add something in the requested features for this.
    2) Agreed, that one looks like a bug.
    4) That was a Xvid file (decoded with the XviD codec), but you are right, I will try some more files using different codecs to make sure. I should also install ffdshow and remove all the other codecs from my system, but it is my MCE machine, so I'm a bit frightened there ;)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    post your specs so we can give advice.
    As a general rule, unless you have an old gfx card then use VMR9.
    This is probably why your ffw is choppy and there is no display for pause, mute etc. Overlay is a basic function for older systems.

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France
    Marcusb said:
    post your specs so we can give advice.
    As a general rule, unless you have an old gfx card then use VMR9.
    This is probably why your ffw is choppy and there is no display for pause, mute etc. Overlay is a basic function for older systems.

Thanks, that was it (VMR9). OSD problems and ffw is fixed. Well, Xvid ffw is still a bit choppy, but at least I can see the OSD which indicate where it is ffwing. Much better than MCE where ffwing a divx is impossible.

Thanks a bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom