My Videos Client/Server Setup (1 Viewer)

ptmuldoon

Portal Member
November 6, 2008
I'm pretty new to Media Portal and trying to get things setup and working, and haven't gotten a little lost and confused perhaps.

I'm not using MP at the moment for Live TV, but am trying to have MP share my video and music collection throughout the home.

I've setup the default Single Seat setup on my main pc, and it appears to be working correctly. I set up folder paths for some videos and music, and can view/listen to that content in MP on the main pc.

Now I'm trying to get this information to play on my laptop. I've disabled the windows firewalls on both the main PC and laptop. and pretty sure I'm connected.

I think I need to configure MP on my laptop to the the correct drive path on my main pc? I think I saw that in the wiki, but can't seem to find it again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
PT

ptmuldoon

Portal Member
November 6, 2008
Thanks for that link, and I'm sure I'll centralize the database soon. But for now, I don't think I need to centralize the DB in order to share the Media from pc1 (homepc) to pc2 (laptop).

I'm a little unfamiliar with the sharing of drives. I have enable the sharing of the Media folder on pc1. and I've set the paths of \\pcname\sharedfolder\path\to\videos\ on both pc1 and pc2.

The path appears to be correct since I can still access the Media on pc1. But setting up that path on pc2 does not find the info.

Do you need to have both pc1 and pc2 as part of the same workgroup?

ptmuldoon

Portal Member
November 6, 2008
Not sure if anyone can help or not. But attempts to change the workgroup on my laptop to the same as my HomePC turned out to be disastrous as my work laptop is set to log into a work domain, and changing the workgroup name will not give me access to all my normal data.

So I'm unsure how you configure a MP Client to access the MP Tv Server on another machine. Do you need to be on the same workgroup?

Can anyone give a hand in getting setup running a WLan?

canarygsr

Portal Pro
October 23, 2007
Melbourne
Home Country
Im not at mediaportal but I have a question.
so when you load mediaportal config on your laptop and go to Videos/Movies?? and add a path you can browse to eg PC1\data\video...

I no expert but if you can browse with explorer and find the network dir you should be able to in mediaportal.

I wish the server could steam the vids/dvds/music to the the clients like TV so all you had to do was setup the server and all the clients would have access to the same media

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom