Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Guys,

Great work on this fantastic plugin, it is add-on's like these that really make MP the way it is. I have a question regarding My Movies. From what I understand, the developer has encrypted the dynamically updated xml files it uses to store the data and the export function simply takes a snapshot at that moment in time. Apparently, you can use the API for the management software to access all the data as if it was part of MP.

Is this something that could be done as My Movies is possibly the easiest and best management of films and TV programs (in my opinion of course!).

Thanks,

Chris

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey Chris - thanks for the info - do you have a link to the API documentation? I tried to find it but couldn't. :(
    Ofc, It also depends how many users are using My Movies with My Films (and vote on the My Films poll) and if we find good testers willing to test the development ;)

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Dadeo,

No worries, here is the link: http://kb.mymovies.dk/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx

This link here: http://kb.mymovies.dk/KnowledgebaseArticle50073.aspx is how they have implemented the scraping in XBMC.

I think access to the API requires 2500 points... I've already got 1250, but if it would help I can always get the rest and we can work something out for access; but only if you're interested and people are interested. no point doing work if you're not actually going to use it bearing in mind the user of My Movies requires 2500 to use the API functionality... Might only be a small group...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Chris - I did find those links but I am not sure if that is enough for @Guzzi to work from - guess he'll tell us if it isn't ;)
    Yes access to the API requires 2500 points, or a fee, so yes my concern is how many users would be interested - and ofc how much work it would be to implement ;).

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    From what I can gather, once you have the required points AND you wish to use it you advise the developer and I think you get a whole heap of stuff to assist you... That's what I gather from the conversation on his forums.

Either way, if you see the need (perhaps a wee poll?) or fancy it let me know and I might be able to assist by purchasing the additional points to get the API open.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Either way, if you see the need (perhaps a wee poll?) or fancy it let me know and I might be able to assist by purchasing the additional points to get the API open.
    How active are you on the My Movies forums? Do you have contact with the devs there at all?
    The reason I ask is, I am not sure how many My Movies users are aware they can use it with My Films and MediaPortal. Most of the info is about WMC and XBMC. If we could 'attract' more users, it would make it much more worthwhile to implement the API - and get much better response to a 'wee poll' ;)

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How active are you on the My Movies forums? Do you have contact with the devs there at all?
    The reason I ask is, I am not sure how many My Movies users are aware they can use it with My Films and MediaPortal. Most of the info is about WMC and XBMC. If we could 'attract' more users, it would make it much more worthwhile to implement the API - and get much better response to a 'wee poll' ;)
    I'm afraid I am not that active, to be honest unlike here it doesn't really have much of a banter, more about simple Q&As. Hard to influence when users are transient. Binnerup is the developer and I think he would be willing to talk about the API if you ask him, certainly he said that the export function wasn't designed to be dynamically updatable and that is why he created the API instead. Might be wise to have a chat and see if it is worthwhile?

Last edited:

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

This is something I'd be interested in exploring further.

I work for a company that's a registered installer and would be happy to contact Brian regarding this. Not saying I have any influence over him but I don't see any reason why he would try and block any such development especially if there's a willingness to do something from the MP/ MyFilms side :).

My concern is that he has mentioned in the past that there won't be any official support for MP unless it's done via the core application (by that I assume he means MyVideos) and therefore he might not be prepared to advertise the support :(. Still, maybe he could be persuaded to change his mind.

Wo0zy.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Could you elaborate Wo0zy? Or ask Brian why 'there won't be any official support for MP unless it's done via the core application'? Perhaps he has not grasped that in MP core is intended to provide basic features and we rely heavily on extensions (like TV Series and My Films), to extend those features. Maybe he is thinking of the 'fly by night' extensions that apply to many apps and often disappear with no development continuing? Although we have seen that can happen in MP core as well. ;) Maybe he has other reasons? But we cannot really address them until we know what they are. (maybe he is just one of the XBMC fanboys? :) Tbh I find the statement a bit confusing as I understood you need MediaBrowser for MyMovies in WMC - maybe I am wrong?

Last edited:

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey Boss,
    Happy New Year!!!
    I’m not in a position to interpret the comments Brian’s made in public forums. I have no idea what he means. If this is considered important I’m happy to try and take it up with him.
    I hate to correct you but MediaBrowser is absolutely NOT required for MyMovies in WMC. MyMovies has its own WMC front end and has no dependency on MediaBrowser whatsoever. In fact there’s an active rivalry between the two and we can thank that for the encryption of the “mymovies.xml” files (see http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=25102 as an example).
    That aside, perhaps I’ve not been party to some historic communications between MM and MP that might have caused some friction?
    Anyway, technically I see no reason why MyVideos, MyFilms or Moving Pictures couldn’t seek greater co-operation with MyMovies . If MyFilms is willing to make the move then that’s fine by me. Who knows, if there’s a successful API integration then maybe Brian will be happy to promote it. After all 2500 points means profit ;).

After that all that’s needed is a GUI based movie ripping utility (as offered by MyMovies for WMC) and we’re nearly there in terms of a drop-in replacement for the WMC/MyMovies solution for non-technical users. But that’s another story ;).

Cheers,

Wo0zy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom