MyPictures Exif OSD patch (1 Viewer)

asagala

Portal Pro
December 13, 2008
Montreal
Home Country
Canada Canada
Just found out why Keywords and description are not being parsed by the EXIF class in MP. it's Because they are not EXIF tags :). They are IPTC. You dont notice in Windows because its reads all metadata. Ill try and see if I can write a class to read IPTC tags

Sinbe

Portal Pro
December 12, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
Is there a way to make this work with the latest versions of MP? It seems that when I replace the core.dll with the one in the zip file MP just crashes. If I replace the windowplugin.dll I get no Basic Home Menu. If I replace neither there's no EXIF-data visible :(

asagala

Portal Pro
December 13, 2008
Montreal
Home Country
Canada Canada
You cant run it with 1.1 Alpha. It currently only works with 1.02. 1.1 is in feature freeze so we cant add new features to it.

Phatbloke

Portal Member
December 14, 2005
Christchurch
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I have had a play with the template trying to only display the comment exif field so all my photos display with a caption and no other info but it seems to be all or nothing with displaying the exif data.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: MyPictures Exif OSD patch

You cant run it with 1.1 Alpha. It currently only works with 1.02. 1.1 is in feature freeze so we cant add new features to it.

Are those changes now included in 1.2 svn?

To properly support search and views in MyPictures, also this data needs to be written to the PicturesDatabase.db3, thus we need to extend the structure - who is willing and able to do that?

I think, as soon, as DB is extended and the data is imported, it would be easy for the community to extend the plugin/views itself - but first step is to extend DB to store EXIF, IPTC, XMP Data in DB and make sure the grabber can read and import/store them.

Asagala, are you still working on that?

donpipo

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I would be very interested in using EXIF information, too. I think that music and videos sections have been improved and still they are improving, and this could be a very good moment to develop the pictures section.

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi All!

The discussion going on in this thread is one of the most interesting for many years in MP :) Music and Video functionality has gotten a lot of focus and rapidly become very feature rich. Unfortunately the picture handling has got little focus by the developers. If MP get features for populating a picture database with tags form IPTC and EXIF, and some GUI features for sorting and viewing photos based on that information, will be a great enhancement for MP.

One of the most interesting new features will be the ability to sort pictures bases on EXIF picture taken information. Currently MP sorts on the pictures on the file system info "last modified" or something, and that is not very useful.

Regards,
    PK

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: Re: MyPictures Exif OSD patch

Hi All!

The discussion going on in this thread is one of the most interesting for many years in MP :) Music and Video functionality has gotten a lot of focus and rapidly become very feature rich. Unfortunately the picture handling has got little focus by the developers. If MP get features for populating a picture database with tags form IPTC and EXIF, and some GUI features for sorting and viewing photos based on that information, will be a great enhancement for MP.

One of the most interesting new features will be the ability to sort pictures bases on EXIF picture taken information. Currently MP sorts on the pictures on the file system info "last modified" or something, and that is not very useful.

Regards,
    PK
    Actually, I have started on some rework for mypictures some time ago.
    It will include exactly what you mentioned, so grabbing EXIF/IPTC/XMP infos and populating the DB with it plus supporting View functionalities for that. Plus most probably another very nice surprise ;-)
    Unfortunately I didn't get it for 1.2, so it won't be included before 1.3 release.

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Re: AW: Re: MyPictures Exif OSD patch

Actually, I have started on some rework for mypictures some time ago.
    It will include exactly what you mentioned, so grabbing EXIF/IPTC/XMP infos and populating the DB with it plus supporting View functionalities for that. Plus most probably another very nice surprise ;-)
    Unfortunately I didn't get it for 1.2, so it won't be included before 1.3 release.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your and all the other developers effort to make MP the best HTPC software available. As soon as you have anything that needs testing, count me in :) If I'm not wrong 1.2 is in Alpha now, so I guess it will take some time before 1.3 will be released (unfortunately). Being a impatient user I can hardly wait to see (and test) the new MyPictures features, but I do understand that development takes time though.

If I could write code I would definitely contributed with some lines, but unfortunately I can't in a professional manner. But If I can contribute with anything else just, let me know.

Regards,
    PK

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: MyPictures Exif OSD patch

as soon as I will have something to test, I will post it at least for private testing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom