MYSQL 5.6 won't start. Trouble started when playing with Dynamic Refresh Rate. (1 Viewer)

T^2

Portal Pro
December 9, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So played around with Dynamic Refresh Rate. Something I'm now regretting. Watched video and DRR reset refresh rate to 23.976.When video stopped, refresh rate went to NTSCHD. Everything good so far. Turned on TV and screen went black. Best I can tell is that MP set the graphics driver to a frame rate my TV doesn't support. I hooked up the computer to other monitors. No problem there. Only way I could get the computer to work again with the TV was to restore back to a previous restore point. Noted that I had to unistall/reinstall Norton IS. MSQL 5.6 seems to be broke and I don't know enough about it to get it to work. Need help!
2014-03-30 12_34_03-MediaPortal - Configuration.png
2014-03-30 13_08_59-Program Manager.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Only way I could get the computer to work again with the TV was to restore back to a previous restore point.
    Obviously too late now, but could you not have played a video with a frame rate that your TV does support?

MSQL 5.6 seems to be broke and I don't know enough about it to get it to work. Need help!
    Unfortunately the info you've provided isn't enough for me to help you, and even were you to provide the full MySQL logs I don't know that I'd be able to help.
    We do use MySQL as a database option... but we're not MySQL experts.

Putting that aside: what message do you get when you try to start the MySQL service?

T^2

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Only way I could get the computer to work again with the TV was to restore back to a previous restore point.
    Obviously too late now, but could you not have played a video with a frame rate that your TV does support?

MSQL 5.6 seems to be broke and I don't know enough about it to get it to work. Need help!
    Unfortunately the info you've provided isn't enough for me to help you, and even were you to provide the full MySQL logs I don't know that I'd be able to help.
    We do use MySQL as a database option... but we're not MySQL experts.

Putting that aside: what message do you get when you try to start the MySQL service?

I don't know how one would be able to play a video with a frame rate that the TV supports when the TV is blacked out making it impossible to navigate.[DOUBLEPOST=1396403212][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway... Got things back up and running. Ugly, but I muddled my way through it.

So my TV supports the following refresh rates: 23p Hz, 24p Hz, 59p Hz, 59i Hz, 60p Hz, 60i Hz. How do I set up Dynamic Refresh Rate so that no profile ever sets my system to a refresh rate that my TV doesn't support?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't know how one would be able to play a video with a frame rate that the TV supports when the TV is blacked out making it impossible to navigate.
    Absolutely, fair point. Basically I made that comment because I would have thought that restoring from a restore point would have been a last resort, and I was a little surprised that was the only way you could resolve the issue.
    When you said...
    I hooked up the computer to other monitors. No problem there.
    ...I interpreted that to mean you were able to see the UI when you connected the PC to a regular PC monitor or different TV. Were that to be the case, my assumption was the access you had using whatever other screen you were testing with (or even RDP or similar) could have allowed you to fix the configuration that caused the TV to black out.
    Only a suggestion, and only trying to help. Please feel free to ignore. :)

Did you have any luck with MySQL or grabbing the error message?

T^2

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2013
    Home Country
    I don't know how one would be able to play a video with a frame rate that the TV supports when the TV is blacked out making it impossible to navigate.
    Absolutely, fair point. Basically I made that comment because I would have thought that restoring from a restore point would have been a last resort, and I was a little surprised that was the only way you could resolve the issue.
    When you said...
    I hooked up the computer to other monitors. No problem there.
    ...I interpreted that to mean you were able to see the UI when you connected the PC to a regular PC monitor or different TV. Were that to be the case, my assumption was the access you had using whatever other screen you were testing with (or even RDP or similar) could have allowed you to fix the configuration that caused the TV to black out.
    Only a suggestion, and only trying to help. Please feel free to ignore. :)

Did you have any luck with MySQL or grabbing the error message?

I believe I tried that. If I remember correctly, it didn't matter what I did when I hooked up another monitor. When I hooked the TV back up, the TV was recognized, and the last known settings for that TV where reset - blanking out the screen. How to go about changing the settings that the graphics driver would be set to when the TV was connected was unknown to me and seemed like a nasty little homework assignment to figure out. Plus time was an issue. I needed to get this fixed before the "Boss" noticed (panic set in immediately). Being already irritated enough, I figured restoring to a previous good restore point might just get me where I needed to go and get me there quickly. For the most part it worked, but appeared to have a negative impact on MySQL 5.6. Had I known more about using MySQL 5.6, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal getting it back in operation. However, being MySQL ignorant, I used the sledgehammer approach with it too. It's broke - uninstall/reinstall. Long story short, after muddling through, I got MySQL working again and have managed to restore (without too much work) MP to operation. Of course, I wasn't quick enough and the "Boss" did take note - losing me a few WAF points in the process before it was all over I'm sure. I'm glad she's been mostly too busy the last few days to care too much about TV or the points lost could have been greater.

T^2

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2013
    Home Country
    So my TV supports the following refresh rates: 23p Hz, 24p Hz, 59p Hz, 59i Hz, 60p Hz, 60i Hz. How do I set up Dynamic Refresh Rate so that no profile ever sets my system to a refresh rate that my TV doesn't support?

I'd still like to get an answer on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom