MyTVSeries - Format Poll (1 Viewer)

Which data import method should the MyTVSeries plugin use?

• Total voters

Salty.dh

Portal Member
April 20, 2006
I need everyone's feedback on the best method for importing your TV shows.

Currently the MyTVSeries plugin utilises Regular Expressions based on the Filename only to build the Show's Title, Season and Episode Numbers.

I would like to modify the functionality of this data import to include Folders so that 'D:\Series\24\Season 5\Episode 1 - Title Here.avi' is possible.

To do this I am proposing a new structure to replace the Regular Expressions. I feel regular expressions are more aimed at taking arbitary data and finding common matches. This isn't really desirable for tv shows as whilst there may be many formats, each user typically chooses one to catalogue their entire collection.

So I propose the following format for importing TV shows.

'D:\Series\<SeriesTitle>\<SeasonName>\Episode <EpisodeNumber> - <EpisodeTitle>.<>'

another example:

'D:\Series\House\Season 03\House S03E01.avi'

'D:\Series\<>\<>\<SeriesTitle> S<SeasonNumber>E<EpisodeNumber>.<>'

This is just some examples of the new format. You could customize this to include any of the fields that MyTVSeries displays. A set of mandatory fields would be included.

Please vote!

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
salty - my reservation with the new system is that it takes quite a bit of work to rename episodes that you've obtained from...ummm... a multitude of sources :p i really like the way it works now, where i can scan my whole tv series folder and not really have to worry about file names at all! but i guess i'm just lucky in that i've not yet come across a file name format that the regex doesn't cover :p

if you decide to go solely for the new system, would it be possible to keep the regular expression part in config, but change it so instead of importing titles, it renames the files to the desired convention?

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi salty

nice to see that you are working on this plugin.

In my opinion MediaPortal should be as robust and flexible as possible and should catch most cases, so I think it is not good that users have to rename their files.

Just my cents, but you are the dev, i have not any knowledge in coding so if this great plugin works again and better than before and i have to rename my files it is okay, I would lovely rename my files :wink:

regards
    chefkoch

GSteele

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2006
    Hi Salty,

If you can help out with a regular expression syntax guide would help a lot of us with media that's not compliant with your prebuilt conventions. :?:

I can guess some of it ie (From memory) ?<Series>= will atempt to set the series name variable to what ever the rest dictates. Your usage of | etc is in an unfamiliar syntax so some pointers on writing our own Regular Expersions would be great. :D

Thanks for all your work.

Greg

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Who said you must rename your files ?

What he proposes is that instead of defining the way you have your files organized on you HDD using regular expressions to do it using some predefined tags.

If you store your TV series using this scheme :

D:\Medias\tv series\stargate sg-1\season 10\ep1 - Flesh and Blood.avi you will be able to import them in the database using this "Model"

d:\Medias\Tv Series\<Serie>\season <Season>\ep<Episode> - <Episode>.avi

Please don't tell me that you're storing your series in different naming schemes, this is a non-sense and should not be supported. If you want to tag your mp3 or rename them from using their tag they all need to use the same model, else you have to do some manual corrections.

Edit : Please consider the possibility to have multiple episodes / filename.

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Please don't tell me that you're storing your series in different naming schemes, this is a non-sense and should not be supported. If you want to tag your mp3 or rename them from using their tag they all need to use the same model, else you have to do some manual corrections.

I dont agree with this. I have a lot of files and series which are on several network file servers, and those are not maintained by me nor do I have access to these servers.

I can however connect to these LAN servers and view the series. I can also not change the name of all those files.

MP plugins should be flexible enough to cope with these files and folders

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    CHli said:

Well, I am storing my series in whatever format they come (...I mean whatever I rename my RECORDED files to...), which is usually 3 to 4 different conventions. Yes, I like to preserve the original filename and hardly ever rename anything. Two reasons for that, I like to have all the extra info that is given in the filename, such as source, codec, audio codec, group, etc. and secondly I'm just lazy and don't want to rename them when the way they come works just fine and gives me all the info I need.

That being said, regular Expressions work fine for me most of the time.

Oh, and I second your request for multiple episodes / filename.

Inker

Salty.dh

Portal Member
    April 20, 2006
    CHli said:
    Who said you must rename your files ?

What he proposes is that instead of defining the way you have your files organized on you HDD using regular expressions to do it using some predefined tags.

If you store your TV series using this scheme :

D:\Medias\tv series\stargate sg-1\season 10\ep1 - Flesh and Blood.avi you will be able to import them in the database using this "Model"

d:\Medias\Tv Series\<Serie>\season <Season>\ep<Episode> - <Episode>.avi

CHli's got it right - almost.

I'm happy to support multiple conventions so that it'll go through them until it finds a match or maybe even "the best match". What I'm really interested in is the Format. I'm trying to gauge if people actually require regular expressions or whether the new format proposed will suit everyone's needs. It's a far simpler approach and easily supports folders.

As for multiple eps per file: Already 50% through implementing that however I need to finalize this format before I can code the rest. It's part of the reason for this poll.

Cheers,

Salty.

Machismo

Portal Member
    July 23, 2006
    LA
    Home Country
    Salty,

Using folders as part of the naming scheme is exactly what I was looking for. I have all my tv shows stored like this:

d:\TV Shows\<Series>\Season <Season>\<Series> - S<Season>E<Episode>.avi

Your new format would work a treat with this.

Keep up the good work - I'm really looking forward to your release.

Mick.

htpcMe

Portal Member
    March 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The use of reg expressions in its default configuration has always worked well for me. I would suggest leaving this method in the cofiguration avaiable and just offer both forms. This can realized with two settings

Setting 1: Simple
    The user can choose from preconfigured filename standards

Setting 2: Advanced
    The use of reg expressions including using the directory paths.

Just my 2 cents. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom