MyTVSeries - Format Poll (3 Viewers)

Which data import method should the MyTVSeries plugin use?

• Total voters

Salty.dh

Portal Member
April 20, 2006
Ok here's the proposal.

At this stage i've taken the existing RegEx and added a prefix to direct the program as to how the RegEx applies.

FILE: or DIR: is now added to the front of the RegEx.

I've got the new format working (it really just builds RegEx's behind the scenes anyways...)

People are starting to touch on the idea of Metatags - One of the features I added early on to my todo list.

I'm adding this atm.

The way it will work.

The bare minimum the program needs to function is:

Series Name, Season Number, Episode Number.

The rest it can find on its own.

Title, Aired Date, Summary, Writers, Directors, Actors can all be sourced from the online information.

So! If the program detects any of these tags (Btw these are not the actual tag names above!)

It will attempt to update them based on web based information. If it is unable to do so it will fall back to the information included in the directory/filename.

Basically if I had a file called: D:\Series\House\Season 1\Episode 1 - Crazy wrong title.avi

The program would use the SeriesName, Ep and Season numbers to find the actual title. If it can't it keeps the Crazy wrong title instead.

Now in building your RegEx or simple expression (the name i've given the new format)

You can specify any or all of the tags above and create your own tags. This is done in a RegEx using the format (?<TagName>.*?)

Whatever TagName is will appear as a field for that episode in the program. So it might be GroupName, Codec, Date etc.

Once this is all working. Further releases will allow for field parsing. So whilst the date text might be 20060804 you can have it parse that field to a different format.

Finally the end result will be the Site miner will allow for similar customizations so that you can tag arbitrary data from a websource and it will appear for that episode.

Exceptional circumstances include Docos and series specials. If it can't parse the file with Season and Episode numbers it will assume it's a special. Docos will fall under this category.

Wow what a lot of waffle hope someone reads and better yet understands where I'm trying to go with all that.

Salty.

Machismo

Portal Member
July 23, 2006
LA
Home Country
Yer salty - keep up the good work. Sounds like you got a handle on things and I can't wait to test out your plugin.

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Just a comment about this :

It will attempt to update them based on web based information. If it is unable to do so it will fall back to the information included in the directory/filename.

Perhaps this should be configurable. I mean if info is available offline don't try to get it from online source. (since we don't have control on online informations, I would like to be able to override them if something is wrong or so.)

patrick

Portal Pro
April 20, 2005
Southeast
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi Salty,

Thanks for the answers!!
I think "simple expressions" have a future :)

If the option is there though I think I would still like both.

Salty.dh said:
My biggest problem is the complexity of supporting regex to the folder level.

I guess I do not understand the complexity of including the path,
it should not be any more complex then the filename alone.
These two examples would parse from the path and filename
correctly (removing the extension since some episode titles have periods).

c:\tv\Stargate SG-1\Season 10\Stargate SG-1_10x01_20060714_XVID_Flesh and Blood.avi

\\*(?<series>[^_\\]*)\\*season\s*(?<season>[^_\\]*)\\*(?<series2>[^_\\]*)_(?<season2>[^x]*)x(?<episode>[^_]*)_(?<junk1>[^_]*)_(?<junk2>[^_]*)_(?<title>.*)
\\*(?<series>[^_\\]*)\\*(?<pathpart1>[^_\\]*)\\*(?<series2>[^_\\]*)_(?<season>[^x]*)x(?<episode>[^_]*)_(?<junk1>[^_]*)_(?<junk2>[^_]*)_(?<title>.*)

If you are worried about filename only expressions pulling from
the path I think setting the RightToLeft option would fix that.

If you want any help on the regex filename parser let me know.
I might be able to help.

Thanks again!

patrick

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    patrick said:
    \\*(?<series>[^_\\]*)\\*season\s*(?<season>[^_\\]*)\\*(?<series2>[^_\\]*)_(?<season2>[^x]*)x(?<episode>[^_]*)_(?<junk1>[^_]*)_(?<junk2>[^_]*)_(?<title>.*)
    \\*(?<series>[^_\\]*)\\*(?<pathpart1>[^_\\]*)\\*(?<series2>[^_\\]*)_(?<season>[^x]*)x(?<episode>[^_]*)_(?<junk1>[^_]*)_(?<junk2>[^_]*)_(?<title>.*)

Lol, sorry but that just made me laugh (not you). Gotta love regular expressions and their "easy" syntax. Very flexible, but they give me a headache everytime I have to do them.

That being said, they are hugely flexible, so please don't remove them . Once figured out they can do wonders!

Inker

Salty.dh

Portal Member
    April 20, 2006
    patrick said:
    Hi Salty,

Thanks for the answers!!
    I think "simple expressions" have a future :)

If the option is there though I think I would still like both.

Salty.dh said:
    My biggest problem is the complexity of supporting regex to the folder level.

I guess I do not understand the complexity of including the path,
    it should not be any more complex then the filename alone.

patrick

Keyword here is supporting not implementing. But I thought about it since posting that. This is, after all a community project so people with regex problems can generally find solutions from people in the community...

Salty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom