MyTVSeries - Format Poll (2 Viewers)

Which data import method should the MyTVSeries plugin use?

• Total voters

GSteele

Portal Pro
April 6, 2006
Inker said:
Well, I am storing my series in whatever format they come (...I mean whatever I rename my RECORDED files to...), which is usually 3 to 4 different conventions. ...That being said, regular Expressions work fine for me most of the time.

Inker

Ok I, like you, have my RECORDED files stored using various naming conventions; but none of my files score a hit. eg it says parsing The West Wing 5x5 - Episode name but it say TV.com did not get any matches for the parsed series name???
Could you please give an example of the naming convension that work? The test looks great I get Series Name; Series # Ep # & Episode Name all correct but I don't get any results not 1. I signed up to TV.com and still no joy.

Thanks

Greg

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
id just like to see the plugin work :p

im fine with anything, scan-wise.

the old regexp system worked for me, but when the tv.com parser (?) broke down the plugin has been unusable

Machismo

Portal Member
July 23, 2006
LA
Home Country
Greg,

I'm experiencing the same problem as you. The test works fine: identifies series, season and episode correctly but when it tries to query TV.com it cant find a match.

I think TV.com might have changed their page layout since this plugin was last released causing the plugin to break.

We just need to wait for salty to finish his changes and hopefully get this plugin back up and running. I believe it will be one of the most valuable and used plugins once its going.

patrick

Portal Pro
April 20, 2005
Southeast
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Salty.dh said:
What I'm really interested in is the Format. I'm trying to gauge if people actually require regular expressions or whether the new format proposed will suit everyone's needs. It's a far simpler approach and easily supports folders.

Hi Salty,

If I understand where you are going, I think I would require regular expressions.

I have a couple different naming conventions I use, but all
have "fields" that might contain different information for each file.

To use an example above my naming would look something like:
tv\Stargate SG-1\Season 10\Stargate SG-1_10x01_20060714_XVID_Flesh and Blood.avi

20060714 is the air date and would be different for every episode
and would not fit a fixed format.

Another advantage to regular expressions could be that if
I had custom fields in the regex those could be included in the GUI
at some point if I wanted them to.

Thanks,
patrick

balance07

Portal Member
April 19, 2006
Alexandria, VA
the format you propose reminds me of Meedio... which is a great thing (i've recently converted). folder support is a must. multiple episodes in 1 file (the 4400 season 3, eps 1-2, for example) would be a nice addition. also staying as far away as possible from tv.com. episodeworld.com seems fine.

how about anime support too? (assuming season 1 for anime would be nice, i name all my anime w/ just episode number).

documentary support too? and all 3 as separate menu selections?

(maybe i'm getting greedy)

long story short.... the more options, the better.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    CHli said:
    What he proposes is that instead of defining the way you have your files organized on you HDD using regular expressions to do it using some predefined tags.

If you store your TV series using this scheme :

D:\Medias\tv series\stargate sg-1\season 10\ep1 - Flesh and Blood.avi you will be able to import them in the database using this "Model"

d:\Medias\Tv Series\<Serie>\season <Season>\ep<Episode> - <Episode>.avi
    Thanks so I understood something wrong. All my series are named with the same scheme, so for me the 'new' way would be okay.

deebo said:
    id just like to see the plugin work :p
    Just my words. :wink:

balance07 said:
    also staying as far away as possible from tv.com. episodeworld.com seems fine.
    episodeworld.com support different languages, so this is great info-source.

In the past there were often changes in the video-databases for example. So my request was to store the data from the inet also in a local file. If you have to import all from the scratch mp could use these files. It's faster and you also could change some information easier. I am not sure, but I think 'myhtpc' did this with .my-files. It is also better for offline PCs. Would anyone other like to see something like this for TVSeries-plugin?

regards
    chefkoch

Salty.dh

Portal Member
    April 20, 2006
    Patrick:

The things is, the proposed format would handle your example...

tv\Stargate SG-1\Season 10\Stargate SG-1_10x01_20060714_XVID_Flesh and Blood.avi

would become:

tv\<SeriesName>\Season <SeasonNumber>\<>_<>x<EpisodeNumber>_<>_<>_<EpisodeTitle>.avi

OR

tv\<SeriesName>\Season <SeasonNumber>\<>_<>x<EpisodeNumber>_<Custom1>_<Custom2>_<EpisodeTitle>.avi

if I add custom tag support!

Is that starting to explain the new format better?

balance07:

I know it reminds you of meedio. I was a meedio user for a short while back in the day and remembered this format being used. I proposed it here without mentioning meedio to avoid the stigma of "media portal is better than meedio (it is btw) why would we want anything it has..."

Anyways i've got multiple eps per file support underway. It requires finalizing the import format. My biggest problem is the complexity of supporting regex to the folder level. Its annoying I always liked the simplicity of meedio's taging system. But so far the results are overwhelming so I'll most likely look at support for both.

chefkoch:

I'll have a look at the offline files cache idea. Thanks for the suggestion! It isn't going to speed up the import process much. Current tests show the sgml parser is working its butt off trying to build episode lists. But I think its a handy feature none the less.

GSteele

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2006
    Why not offer to rename and construct the appropriate file structure as part of the import? Then we can record our files using whatever format is required then massage the file names according to whatever rules that create a consistent structure then parse that structured file path to get the ep Series & other DB info to perform the search on ep...com.

If I understand it the current Regular Expressions seem to work fine in the rule test but TV.com broke your plugin. :x So why not use the regular expressions to create the structure that we all really crave but haven't always got the time to setup. Then you can have series thumbs etc etc.

I also second the Docos idea as most doco's are non seasonal. Some ability to classify by criteria would great to eg Space; Nature; History; Culture.

As another issue it would be good if the Auto Compress & record feature could then comply with this structured format. Crunchie had the ability to create folders etc but having the Auto Compress comply with this plugin would make things much easier. I know they're not your plugins (well I don't know but I'd guess) but if you could talk about getting the record folder to contain the structure or the compress feature to move and restructure????

Thanks for all the work you're putting into this sort of thing for the benefit of others.

Greg :D

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Sorry hadn't see you already answered to Patrick, anyway here are some more informations :

If Salty add a field <AirDate> you won't have any problem. The only problem is if the <AirDate> field is not always on the same place in the filename... but as Salty said he could support multi naming convention selecting the best one based on some appreciation like

<AirDate> must be a valid date format
    <EpisodeNumber> must be an integer
    <EpisodeName>Is a text
    <GroupName> Is [LOL | etc..]
    <Format> Is [Divx | Xvid | x264 | , ...]

etc....

a kind of Regex but without all the complexity of it !

Having custom field with Salty's solution is possible too but in a specific TV Serie application we should be able to list all the tags needed or am I wrong ?

Perhaps Salty can post all the tags he did think of and we can complete if something is missing.

Thanks Salty !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom