n00bie questions (1 Viewer)

oldyellow

Portal Member
January 5, 2006
I am new to HTPC in general and am looking to convert an existing PC into an HTPC for as little additional investment as possible. Last night I downloaded and installed MediaPortal and have pretty much decided to go that direction. Could someone be kind enough to answer the following questions for me?. Thanx in advance.

1. Do I need to have Windows Media Center Edition to use a MCE Remote? I noticed that a lot of people claim to be using a MCE remote, but I don't know if those people are using WinMCE or WinXP (or even Win2K). I have WinXP home and don't intend invest in a new operating system.

2. I'm thinking about buying a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150. Should I get the MCE version or not (considering that I don't have WinMCE)? If the MCE version gets me the a MCE remote and the MCE remote can be used with WinXP, I would rather go that way. But I don't know if the WinTV PVR-150 MCE version works with WinXP. On Hauppauge's web site, they state that MCE versions of there other products (350 & 500) don't need WinMCE. However, the wording on the PVR-150 is a little different (and the box certainly states the WinMCE is a requirement). Is anyone using or knows of someone else using a WinTV PVR-150MCE with WinXP?

oldyellow

Portal Member
January 5, 2006
I just found this in a post about live streaming.

I'd go for the Microsoft MCE remote, and a Hauppauge PVR-based TV-card (if you're using analog TV). Look at the PVR-150MCE and PVR-500MCE, both are supported by MP. Both the remote and the card will work with MP, if you're running either Windows MCE or Windows XP Professional.

Does this mean that the either the remote or the card (or both) will not work with Windows XP Home?

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I hear it is possible to get the remote working on XP Home, just a little harder. Do a little more searching, this has been mentioned a couple of time in the last few days.

Edit: And I believe the card will work just fine with XP Home.

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
But there is one that comes with both as I brought it! :D Just need to ask wherever you get it from which version it is!

oldyellow

Portal Member
January 5, 2006
wortelsoft said:
150 mce doesn't come with a remote, but has a build in radio tuner.

the normal 150 doesn't have radio, but comes with a remote control.

I could have been more specific, but I am not sure of the exact name of the product bundle. There is a version of the 150 that comes with a mce "kit". The meaning of "kit" is that it is bundled with a mce compatible remote. Since it is available at Best Buy, I can use my Best Buy gift cards to help me along the way to a HTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom