NAS functions for MP V1.0 / Use HTPC as fileserver (5 Viewers)

nicx

Portal Pro
February 1, 2006
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: NAS functions for MP V1.0 / Use HTPC as fileserver

in the meantime i have programmed a vbs script which will do this wake-up-and-keep-up-feature for me ;) this script is much more secure than a remote psexec and i have many options to keep the server up (monitoring for ips, folders, processes, ports,...).

i used the base of another script so i have to wait for the author if its ok to publish it here.

nicx...

Castellaneta

Portal Member
February 1, 2007
Roma
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi, I'm trying MP 1.1 RC1 in a client/server configuration, on different computers.
During WOL, is there a way to wait for the start of tvserver before MP client access it?
:D

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

This is MP related and due to this script is independent i can't do anything.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi netexplorer,

Could you explain the difference between the ping version and the non ping version. Perhaps update the initial post. I was hoping the ping version would eliminate the need for the server to have client user names and passwords, but the nasserver.ini included in the zip still has the client usernames and passwords as an example. Is this necessary with the ping version? I've got some clients that for reasons beyond my control, have policies that require regular password changes.

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi globaldonkey,
    the ping version don't need username and password. You can enter dummy data in the ini file. The reason why this entrys are still in the ini file is, that the modification of the code are less. So the configuration read sequence is the same like the other version.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Does this tool work with Windows 7 (Home Premium) as the client?

Got a new client with this OS. Nasclient is firing the server up fine, and is starting nasserver on the server ok, but nasserver is closing after a minute as it seems it cannot check if the client is still running. Suspect it is due to pslist not working. Firewall is off on the client, and remote registry service is started, but still get the following error:

pslist v1.29 - Sysinternals PsList
    Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals

Cannot connect to remote registry on Tara-laptop:
    Access is denied.
    Failed to take process snapshot on xxxxxxx.
    Make sure that the Remote Registry service is running on the remote system, that you havefirewall ports allow RPC access
    , and your account has read access the following key on the remote system:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I've never used W7 Home, but you could try enabling the remote registry service:

Clcik on Start
    type in services.msc
    Double click on the "remote Registry" service
    Click on start

See if that works. If it does, repeat the above stepsbut set the service to "automatic" instead of "manual" or "disabled" (otherwise after a reboot you'll be back to square-one)

Many thanks,

J.

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi globaldonkey,
    sorry for late answering, i was on vacation.
    The server process only using the ping command for detecting the clients. You can check this on the server machine if a ping command is sucessfull. Which version du you use? Please try the second one on first post.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks Jay - yeah checked remote registry was working. Sorry forgot to mention that.

Hi netexplorer, I am not using the ping version. I wanted the server to shutdown if the machine was still running, but nasclient was not. I'm not really using your package for what it was originally meant - to allow an MP client to wake the server up and keep the server running while the client is still running. I'm using it for various clients to wake the server up at 3am and do a backup of the client to the server, and some clients, like my laptop, are always running, so they always ping, meaning the server will not shutdown. I just found the nasserver and power scheduler in MP an easy way to keep the server running for the backup. When the backup finishes, I kill nasclient, which inturn causes nasserver to die, and powerscheduler shuts the server down.

I guess I could move to the ping version and start to be a little more energy efficient in making my laptop go into standby.... just need to work out how to stop it from going into standby while the backup is running, as the client is not an MP client and doesn't run power scheduler...... but would like to know why I can't do a pslist on a Win 7 machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom