Native Bluray Playback (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Im sorry if this subject has been covered in other threads, but i just cannot get a straight answer about the native support for blu-ray discs in MP1.3alpha/beta.

Im currently running MP1.2 and have it set up perfectly for all my media playback but would definately take the plunge into 1.3beta if i can play blurays out of the box, but i dont want to take the risk if i dont have the right setup.

Am i right in thinking that native support means that i can just install MP1.3beta and i will then be able to use purchased (commercial?) discs with the bluray player that i have installed in my htpc setup?

OR

Will i still have to use AnyDVD / DVD Fab in the background to decrypt the disc before it can be used?

Thanks in advance :)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think this should help with your questions: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/0_What's_New/1.3.x/Native_Blu-ray_Support

But in short.. you still need 3rd party software like AnyDVD to decrypt your Blurays before they will work in MediaPortal. We are open source and don't have the money to buy a license like PDVD or TMT did.

From the Wiki page above:
    • MediaPortal now fully supports playing unencrypted Blu-ray discs (with the exception of BD-J discs using Java menus - for which MediaPortal will display a list of Titles for the user to access instead of displaying the Java menus). If the user wishes to play a commercial disc, then they will need to use a 3rd party on-the-fly decrypter such as AnyDVD HD or DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Last edited:

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    OK, thanks for the answer. I'll have to leave it then I think, I begrudge forking out for decrypting software after I've already spent big £'s on a player and all the discs on top. Sony can kiss my ar$e.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you got PDVD or TMT you can start ab BD from MP by using their external player.

Creamfilling

Portal Member
    November 12, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    How do you setup DVDFab to run in the background to do this for you? As I mentioned in my other post, I have all my Blu-Rays already decrypted down to my HD (using DVDFab) but apparently that does not work for some reason, I can not get the menus to play.

I am fine having DVDFab do something on the fly if I need to as I would really like to get away from having to call PDVD. (I am trying to use intro videos and that is just messy when you have to call PDVD 2x)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom