Native Unicable Support (1 Viewer)

Monstamac

December 22, 2020
Home Country
France France
Country flag
Hi, Im wondering if Medial Portal supports Unicable I or II directly. I tried configuring my card TBS6904 for this but cant see a setting anywhere unless it has to be some custom setting.

Can someone tell me if this is possible, I am struggling with this particular card under Linux and am looking for a solution after 10 days of struggle.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    I am struggling with this particular card under Linux and am looking for a solution after 10 days of struggle.
    The internet is a wonderful way of allowing people to misunderstand each other, even when both parties to the conversation learned the same language as their first language. :(

Are you hoping to use Linux to run MediaPortal? If so, I have to disappoint you, because MediaPortal runs only on Windows. :(

Im wondering if Medial Portal supports Unicable I or II directly. I tried configuring my card TBS6904 for this but cant see a setting anywhere unless it has to be some custom setting.
    The TBS 6904 card is a satellite card; see this page on the TBS web site. Does Unicable broadcast via a satellite?

If Unicable is a cable TV provider, possibly you should be using a TBS 6205 card, which supports both DVB-T/T2 and DVB-C. I notice that the TBS 6209 card is similar, but also claims support for DVB-C2. I don't know whether the TBS 6205 supports DVB-C2, or whether it supports only DVB-C.

I have never used cable TV, but I think that MediaPortal will support it, provided that the channels are not encrypted. If the channels are encrypted, I think that you have to use a tuner card that has a CI slot into which you insert a viewing card. But I have never use this type of system. so I may have misunderstood how it works.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Monstamac

December 22, 2020
    Home Country
    France France
    Country flag
    The internet is a wonderful way of allowing people to misunderstand each other, even when both parties to the conversation learned the same language as their first language. :(

Are you hoping to use Linux to run MediaPortal? If so, I have to disappoint you, because MediaPortal runs only on Windows. :(

The TBS 6904 card is a satellite card; see this page on the TBS web site. Does Unicable broadcast via a satellite?

If Unicable is a cable TV provider, possibly you should be using a TBS 6205 card, which supports both DVB-T/T2 and DVB-C. I notice that the TBS 6209 card is similar, but also claims support for DVB-C2. I don't know whether the TBS 6205 supports DVB-C2, or whether it supports only DVB-C.

I have never used cable TV, but I think that MediaPortal will support it, provided that the channels are not encrypted. If the channels are encrypted, I think that you have to use a tuner card that has a CI slot into which you insert a viewing card. But I have never use this type of system. so I may have misunderstood how it works.

hi , erm no im looking for a windows solution.

unicable is a modern standard for multiplexing many satellite signals down one cable and is used by major manufacturers.

its a major standard.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    unicable is a modern standard for multiplexing many satellite signals down one cable and is used by major manufacturers.
    Thank you for the link; I had not encountered Unicable before. From the link, it seems that the domestic receiver requires no hardware change; it is the software that controls the tuner that needs to do something different. Unfortunately, this page in the MediaPortal Wiki says this:

MediaPortal doesn't support Single Cable distribution (also known as Unicable or Sat CR). If your LNB also has standard/non-Unicable ("universal") outputs, use them instead.​
    So I think that you are out of luck as far as MediaPortal is concerned (there is no one available to add support for Unicable). :(

Kupferdings

Portal Member
    July 9, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Hello,

Unicable is possible, I'm using it successfully in my installation.
    But it totally depends on the driver of your tuner card. I'm using tuners from Digital Devices, eg. the Cine S2. The driver comes with a tool allowing configuration of normal or unicable mode and for mediaportal it always looks like a normal standard BDA tuner device even if unicable is used behind.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread