Need help choosing CPU | Page 3

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by pbb, August 28, 2007.

1. rocky500

rocky500 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The new Abit boards have been the best I've ever used for MCE/Vista/Media Portal HTPC setups.
    ABIT AN-M2 & the AN-M2HD

The AN-M2 has DVI and the AN-M2HD has HDMI & firewire.

http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/au/mot...etail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AN-M2&fMTYPE=Socket AM2
    http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/mot...ail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AN-M2HD&fMTYPE=Socket AM2

The onboard video is suposedly has the same aceleration chip as the 8500GT/8600GT.

We use mainly the AN-M2 with AMD 64 x2 4000+ CPU and are amazed how well they work.

Seems to setup better and work better than my Gigabyte 965 MB, Intel 6300, Geforce 8600GT.

I would throughly recommend this board with one of the new 45W AMD CPU's.
    You can't go wrong with their price and their quality.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bram

Bram Portal Pro

Webapplication Developer (PHP, AJAX, MySQL, Backba
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wow! I relay like these boards. My motherboard recently died on me. So I'm looking for a new solution. The size and integrated options combined with the price (only 60 euro for the AN-M2!) make it very attractive. Combined with a AMD Athlon x2 4000+ which costs about 57,- euro and 2GB of Crucial BallistiX RAM I could have a completely upgraded system for only 217,- Euro.

I'm in desperate need of one (or two) 8800 GTS 320MB videocards also, so I'll have to choose... :/

4. pbb
    • Premium Supporter

pbb Retired Team Member

Web development, graphic design, general programmi
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    The Abit AN-M2HD looks interesting, but I see it can have problems overheating (http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/motherboards/abit-an-m2hd/4). However, biggest problem for me is lack of a S-Video output, since I am still using a good CRT TV.

All of a sudden I found the Sapphire Pure Innovation HDMI. (http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=6&id=2236) Wow, this looks ideal. Almost the same specs as the ASUS HDMI, but you can use HDMI, S-Video output and S/P-DIF output (and input) without losing the PCI-e x16 slot! Instead, DVI-D requires the PCI-e slot. Which is a much better trade-off, since if you later want to upgrade to a separate graphics card, changes are it also has DVI-D. While with the ASUS, you will have to get a separate graphics cards with HDMI and S/P-DIF (!!) if you want to continue using those!

But, biggest problem with the Sapphire is... does it really exist???? I find reviews about the card, but the Sapphire site itself only has an empty page about it, and I can find no shops that sell it... :(

5. Bram

Bram Portal Pro

Webapplication Developer (PHP, AJAX, MySQL, Backba
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That look great! I can't find a shop that sells it either. Maybe you can send email to Sapphire and ask for resellers.
    I'm guessing the board will be pretty expensive (more then 150,- Euro), based on the prices of other sapphire boards.

6. pbb
    • Premium Supporter

pbb Retired Team Member

Web development, graphic design, general programmi
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    LDLC seems to sell it (http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00056785.html) in France, Belgium and Switzerland for 100 euro (and in Switzerland even 85 euro)! Though that's probably ex tax, my french is not that good...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!