Need help cleaning up DTS music files (1 Viewer)

griffindodd

Portal Pro
March 28, 2009
I have some DTS and DVDA music that is in a bunch of seemingly unfriendly formats that I would like to be able to play seemlessly with my other music in MediaPortal.

I assume I am going to need to do some conversion to a common 5.1 channel format and was wondering what was the best approach to work well with MP.

I have albums in

.WAV - 1 file for whole album
.WAV - 1 file for each track
.mdf image file
.nrg image file
.cdr image file
.bin image file

Am I best converting everything into single WAV files per track? If so what would be a good choice of program for the conversion?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I'm sure that there are Audio Editors around, which allow cutting and conversion.

But maybe iut would help you just creating a CUE file, where you specify exactly the start of every track in your wav file (for the whole album)
    you could create a CUE file and specify the wave file for every single track - This is currently in SVN and will be part of MP 1.2
    for the image files, you'd need to extract them first to WAV i would think.

Kernel.32

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I also have some DTS wav files that I cannot play. First of all I had to convert them with DTS Parser.
    The problem is that these files can't be played with bass player.
    You have to set "Internal dshow player" in music cfg.

The bad thing with "Internal dshow player" is that you lose vu-meter, fading and other cool bass player functions.
    Is there a way to enable bass player for these files?

synthdood

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I let my receiver do the DTS decoding. All MP needs to do is pass through the DTS stream untouched, I use the PureAudio plugin and ASIO4All driver for that. Fading would break the DTS encoding so that is out of the question anyway. I encode all my DTS wavs to flac so that I can add ID tags (something you can't do with wavs or ISOs). THis works perfectly. Since the flac files have ID tags MP can now index the files just like any other mp3 and by passing them lossless to the receiver the sound quality is much much better than using the soundcard. Really much better!

I recently re-installed my media-PC and had some trouble getting ASIO to work with my soundcard in Win7 and thus I couldn't use lossless pass through for a while. It immediately struck me how different everything sounded now that the soundcard was doing the DA conversion. Something was missing in the highs and the lows were muddy and undefined. I was so glad when I managed to sort out the ASIO and be able to use pass through again.

The point of this story: Forget the features and eye candy that the BASS engine can provide. Unless you have a very very good soundcard let your receiver do the decoding and play all you music lossless. It really does sound a lot better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom