Need help getting mp to work (1 Viewer)

fyresafe75

Portal Member
November 14, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
:mad:I have a happauge HVR 950 TUNER installed on my dell, Win XP operating system, and it is working just fine. I have downloaded the software for media portal and figured out i needed to select my device in the tv server menu, then perfoem a scan but i am unable to watch tv. i dont even know if the scan is successfull, only that it is complete. when i go to the TV option in MP center i click on the tv icon and a message comes up stating "tv-unknown697250-5" and right below it it says "no free card availble" . am i doing something wrong?...do i need a tv card? can someone help?
fyresafe75

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    STICK only in the TV-Server app until you have this resolved! You have to scan the channels and be able to view them in the PreView frame under TV Channels before anything else! I had REAL trouble with one of those 950s because the one I'd borrowed didn't match the driver quite right... those USB tuners aren't exactly mainstream. Are you trying to tune analog or digital? Surely not ClearQAM.

fyresafe75

Portal Member
    November 14, 2011
    Home Country
    andrew,

the way i am using the tuner is with my comcast cable out of the wall into the tuner. i have clear QAM via this method and i have no problems when viewing TV from the provided happauge software. My overall purpose and goal is to be able to record programs with MP softare so i can stream video out of this windowns XP system that will basically be my DVR. All that I basically have loaded on it is win tv(hapaugge program) and MP. Thanks for your quick response. I am not to techy and cant keep up with much of the tech language and hope that i can find a little guidence here.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi fyresafe75

From what you said it sounds like the scan was successful, else you wouldn't have channels available to even try watching TV. What would really help here is if you could supply your logs so we can check out what is going on.

Log Files - MediaPortal Wiki

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi fyresafe75

Sorry for the delay (I'm actually at work ;))...
    Yes, you've done things mostly correct. One thing you should do before anything else is install the required updates for XP from -->here<-- (bottom section, required updates tab). You especially need the BDA/DVB hotfix...

Now onto the issue at hand. Some of the channels that you're trying to view are apparently encrypted. TV Server is saying that you don't have any tuners that can decrypt them. The channels that you can watch are all the ones that have a green "ball" beside them in the "TV Channels" section in TV Server configuration:

ION
    WYCC HD
    MHZ
    Unknown 217250-2
    Unknown 241250-8
    Unknown 241250-B
    Unknown 283250-13
    Unknown 313250-1
    Unknown 313250-2
    WJYS2
    Unknown 355250-B
    Estrell
    POLVISN
    Unknown 559250-1F
    Unknown 565250-1
    Unknown 565250-2
    Unknown 565250-3
    Unknown 565250-4
    Unknown 565250-5
    Unknown 565250-7
    Unknown 565250-8
    Unknown 565250-9
    Unknown 565250-A
    Unknown 565250-C
    Unknown 565250-F6
    WGN
    WFLD
    WMAQ
    WJYS
    Unknown 571250-18
    WXFT-HD
    Unknown 583250-C9
    Unknown 583250-CA
    Unknown 103250-1
    Unknown 103250-2
    WBBM_2
    WTTW HD
    WTTW Cr
    WTTW-DT
    WTTW- D
    WFLD DT
    WMAQ_5
    WMAQ 5-
    WMAQ5-U
    Unknown 757250-19
    Unknown 757250-1A
    WLS HD
    WGN HD
    Livwell
    WLSSD W
    Antenna
    Unknown 769250-14
    WCIU-HD
    WPWR DT
    MeTV
    U Too
    MeToo
    THIS
    Unknown 793250-1B

Note that the "Unknown..." channels are named that way simply because TV Server was unable to read the channel name from the PSIP data. You'll have to test each of those channels to find out what they really are. If you're convinced that you're missing channels then you can try enabling the CAM for your tuner as per the details -->here<-- (CAM). That will trick TV Server into thinking your tuner allows you to view encrypted channels so that you can test whether each of the encrypted channels really are encrypted (normally TV Server won't even try to tune them).

mm

fyresafe75

Portal Member
    November 14, 2011
    Home Country
    thanks mm,
    i am currently going through the list of system requirements and it appears i need to install the following...

1-windows media player 11
    2-dvb hotfix from rapid share.
    3-directx9 upgrade

i tried to download(upload as they seem be caling it) the fix, but so far the site has not validated my new user account. i think i will try again tomorrow, unless you know of an easier, quicker way. i did enable the cam setting as per your suggestion.

fyresafe75

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i tried to download(upload as they seem be caling it) the fix, but so far the site has not validated my new user account. i think i will try again tomorrow, unless you know of an easier, quicker way.
    Account not required. Just click "save file to computer" as shown in the screenshot...

Attachments

• 1.png
      1.png
      163.2 KB

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    This user may find more problems than solutions as his system is XP-Professional-SP3 on a 2.66Ghz Pentium 4 running 1534 MB RAM with a 64MB Intel graphics (iGPU?) and an 80GB HDD. This seems far from the requirements in the Wiki... I don't mean to be negative, but pointing this out could save a great deal of frustration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom