Need help on getting started making my own skins (1 Viewer)

C.44

Portal Member
January 16, 2008
Germany
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

i've been a proud user of MediaPortal for years but i have been drawn to the dark side for years as well. That attraction manifested itself as Confluence, the standard skin of XBMC. That and the waaay faster response XBMC has compared to MP. However, MP has been good to me all these years and i really can't live without the TV server (or more specifically the fact that it can use my FloppyDTV's hardware cam).

I did some digging around and found that there are a number of skins that were influenced by XBMC's Confluence as well, there is even a thread in this forum about a conversion of that skin to MP. Sadly though most of those skins are slowing down my system waaay too much and the straightup conversion that WileECoyote started seems to be stranded as well (please correct me if i'm wrong though).

This morning i've been trying to get started in this skinning business for MP. I can't for the life of me figure out where to start. I've copied the default skin that comes with 1.2.0 and tried editing that a little but got nowhere fast. I am not new to xml files or programming/scripting in the least bit and honestly the absolute lack of structure in the default skin's folder worries me to no end.

I also looked at the wiki, hoping to find some answers or a "Getting Started" guide there. Other than some hugely outdated info according to some headlines and notices on quite some pages i didn't really get too much info from there. I find a list of "core xmls" that was missing "reference.xml", i honestly have no idea what else could be missing or what files i absolutely need to have and which pieces of xml are absolutely vital to make the skin work or even usable.

My question is, is there a manual or maybe a absolute basic file / .zip that i can view / download to get me started ? I honestly have no interest in reading thousand of lines of XML just to get a basic understanding of what the heck i'm doing. An empty skin with a little explanation on how to get basic animations to work and how to incorporate little bits and pieces would be great =)

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Need help on getting started making my own skins

Well, if you are used to xml, then you should start with the Default Wide skin.
    It´s fairly well documented, and you just have to change the GFX (found in Media folder of that skin).
    Experiment with the basic settings posx, posy, width, height, have a look at the animations (all are well explained in Wiki) etc.
    Have fun skinning :D

C.44

Portal Member
    January 16, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Honestly i'd rather start from scratch and actually learn what effects properties have. I've been trying to figure out which files are vital to mp. So far i've had to rely on logs and a couple of popups (or popunders rather since the splashscreen typically hides any other element). It would be interesting to see a .zip file with the only the most basic files and folderstructure.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Need help on getting started making my own skins

Maybe I´m talking not clear enough: DefaultWide contains ONLY files which are NECESSARY to run MP.
    So you need to adapt ALL the files in that folder ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom