Codecs Need new codecs (1 Viewer)

zethaaron

Portal Member
June 29, 2010
Home Country
Canada Canada
sorry didn't mean to sound condescending, just meant that based on ur question u don't have a good understanding of how codecs work (yet ;-P ) ... and also with SAF you don't need to understand it just works well. good luck. PS. I use SAF with XP, I have 3TB media, and there are very few files it doesn't like.

Haha it's fine. :p I've tried SAF and it hasn't worked, haven't got around to looking at the other persons thread, going to look at that and then if I still don't have what I want I'll try SAF again, and 3TB media, thanks very much.:D

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If it didn't work then maybe you have installed other codec packs or video playing software before installing SAF. The prerequisite is that you have no other codecs or codec packs or players installed.

zethaaron

Portal Member
    June 29, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well, right now I'm on a computer I'm setting up for pretty much JUST media, installed XP today and have an S-Video out Nvidia TV graphics card, I'm installing VLC now, should I not?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    VLC is a stand alone player that using internal fitlers rather than installing directshow filters, so installing VLC doesn't actually install any codecs. VLC is not the highest quality player, but since you are using s-video (low quality connection) you will not notice the difference

zethaaron

Portal Member
    June 29, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well I can't afford a new plasma screen to get a perfect image. :p Although in my experience, low quality is fine, better in a way, because even though the desktop is blurry, the videos themselves in full-screen don't have the quality loss on a low end tv that you get on a monitor or HD TV, so I find it's almost better then high end tv's for media. Anyway, off topic lol. Well I'm installing everything now

Right now I think the only codecs that are installed on my computer is an xvid codec that came with some DVD ripping software

zethaaron

Portal Member
    June 29, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hello all, I eventually gave up on Media Portal, despite its promise and potential due to too much failure. Alas I am back for round two, and an obvious problem occurs to me that the guides I'd read may have been for older versions of Media Portal, quite a dumb thing to miss the first time around. But thank you again for all your previous advice, and this time, whether you want me to or not :)P) I actually WILL let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom