Neither MP nor Config start after 1.3->1.4 upgrade (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    After upgrading my MP 1.3.0 installation to 1.4.0 neither MP nor MP configuration will start. MP gets into an endless loop of trying to start, crashing and then restarting (due to watchdog). As I was previously not using Titan but accepted the default of selecting Titan (extended) for the new installation) I wanted to use Configuration to select an alternative skin. Unfortunately, Configuration also doesn't start (see attached error message). It complains about not finding the BASS player, which presumably should have been upgraded during the installation procedure as well. FWIW I have also included the MP logs, which Watchdog automatically created (before my attempted Configuration). Are there some specific Config logs I should be uploading as well? Is there a straightforward way to fix this manually?

Attachments

• config140.png
      config140.png
      266.5 KB
    Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Not sure what problem is, but the Error log references:

'MediaPortal.GUI.Library.DXNative' from assembly 'Core, Version=1.3.0.0

It would look like some part of the upgrade failed and you have mixed build - could be as your ProgramData is on D:? I assume this is set as a system variable? My "Team Mediaportal" user data is also on D:, but I use link [see mklink] from C:\ProgramData specific to MediaPortal, so any assumptions anything may make in paths remain valid.

I'd do following:

1) Make copy of all database & MOVE the thumb files DIR out of ProgramData
    2) If you have done any local skin mods, back them up as well.
    3) Keep a reference copy of Mediaportal.xml [if you have a lot of config info, its very hand to have, so you can look at how it was].
    4) Install 1.4 as a 'full install' - accept Titan & LAV,
    5) Check it works - just run config once then MePo itself - hopefully your in business
    6) Install all relevant plugs and run once.
    7) Update config as appropriate.
    8) copy DB files into place & move thumbs back, replacing the newly created thumbs dir.
    9) Again, run config and then MePo.

Above sound like a lot, but I find it doesn't take long - my config is quite simple, which helps.

Cheers - JCMP

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Like JCMP said, sounds like some files were not updated (maybe they were in use and could not be replaced).

I'd try this:

Go to: C:\Users\YOURWINDOWSUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaPortal Installation\deploy
    And run the installers again manually.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks for the tips, but no joy. Client installation seems to work (may have been blocked on some files by MpTray.exe still running), but TV server fails. I even tried a "complete uninstall" and then reinstall, but TV Server install then fails to create DB. In desperation, I also tried the total cleanup option, but the uninstall routine appears to restart itself, while showing an error in the original window.

Attachments

• MP140uninstall.png
      MP140uninstall.png
      5.9 MB
    • TVserver140install.png
      TVserver140install.png
      136.7 KB

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    The failure to create TV DB seems to be due to renaming the original MpTvDb and trying to create a new one, a crazy idea I got (indirectly) from this wiki article. Installation completed without error messages when I set up a new DB, MpTv14, instead.
    However, the initial music DB scan in MP configuration never reported completion (attached screenshot show condition it stopped in, without other messages).
    Also, invoking the Titan configuration plugin from MP configuration crashed MP configuration (2nd attachment).

P.S. MP client starts OK. Now to reconfigure everything! ;-{

Attachments

• MP140updateMusicDB.png
      MP140updateMusicDB.png
      1.3 MB
    • MP140TitanConfig.png
      MP140TitanConfig.png
      266.5 KB
    Last edited:

hilfer

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    I have same problem after upgrading from 1.3.
    No moving pictures and when I start MPconfig - Plugins I get the following error message:
    Failed to locate assembly "log4net version 1.2.10.0, culture =neutral
    Publickey token = 1b44e1d426115821
    Note that configuration programs must be executed from /reside in media portal folder, the execution will now end.
    And the configuration window closes.

What can I do ??

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    @hilfer : normaly this error message indicates an outdated plugin oder Skin. So please check your plugin Directory and update every plugin. Check if there are updates for your Skin.
    To better Support you, please fill your System specs and enable them.

hilfer

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    @hilfer : normaly this error message indicates an outdated plugin oder Skin. So please check your plugin Directory and update every plugin. Check if there are updates for your Skin.
    To better Support you, please fill your System specs and enable them.

You are right it worked, the only problem I have now is that Moving Picture is not opening (I think).

I can configure it and called my movies (filmes) but it doesn't show on my home screen.
    I can only access to my movies through" videos" and opening video files !!!

Does movingPictures work with this version ??

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Movingpictures works with 1.4. But it depends also on your Skin. What Skin are you using? Why not posting logs to better Support you?

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You are right it worked, the only problem I have now is that Moving Picture is not opening (I think).

I can configure it and called my movies (filmes) but it doesn't show on my home screen.
    I can only access to my movies through" videos" and opening video files !!!

Does movingPictures work with this version ??

You need to enable MovingPictures from the settings inside MePo. Something like GUI. There you can choose between internal Video PLugin and MovingPictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom