Nested bullet lists in the Wiki

Discussion in 'Website/Forum/Wiki Feedback' started by CyberSimian, June 19, 2019.

1. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +951 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I want to use a bullet list within a list item of an outer bullet list. Some problems:

(1) I cannot discover how to do this within the rich-text editor. Is it possible?

(2) I switched to the plain text editor and coded the xml tags directly (I spent 25 years coding GML tags in design documents, so I am well accustomed to doing this!). That works, sort of o_O. The inner bullet list is correctly formatted, but the xml processor uses the same bullet symbol as the outer list (a solid disk). It should use a different bullet symbol (such as a circle).

(3) I tried specifying the bullet symbol on the UL tag, but the editor discarded it when I applied the changes. I tried this:

<ul list-style-type="circle">

This is shown as an example in a page illustrating xml markup somewhere on the internet, but there seem to be so many xml variants these days that it is difficult to know whether "list-style-type" is the correct name for the attribute, or whether "circle" is a valid value. Anyway, I should not have to specify the bullet symbol manually for nested lists -- the xml processor should automatically choose a different symbol for each level of nesting.

So, how do I get this to work correctly? Thank you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

• Like Like x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. high
    • Team MediaPortal
    • IT-Admin

high Administrator

Sysadmin
    Ratings:
    +4,818 / 6
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    if you want to use circle or anything on sublists just add this to the li-tag
    Code (Text):
    1. <li style="list-style-type: circle;">
    added it to your last edited page: On-Screen Display as an example

that should be the case but Atlassian set a css-rule to ul--lists that overwrite browsers behavior.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +951 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Thank you! :) I will make the same change to the other nested list on that page.

I am surprised that I have to specify the override on each <li> tag in the nested list. I would have expected to be able to specify the override once on the nested <ul> tag, and have that override apply to all of the <li> tags within that nested list. :( Oh well, at least it is possible to get the result that I want. (y)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

• Like Like x 2

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!