Network folder as music folder?? (1 Viewer)

sitdown

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
First, want to gratulate all of the contributors of this grate software :)

Trying to use my lacie hd that is connected to my router as my music folder. The adress that i reach my hd is ftp://10.0.0.1/ , i log in without password or username. As i did not get ftp to work on my router with username and password.
I searched the forum and i thought i got the answer, just to copy this adress (ftp://10.0.0.1/) to the local folder. And punch in the user name and password as i do not have.. Also tried to add the folder share from my network places..

Anybody have any solutions for this problem??

Thomas

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
I have a number of network accessible folders setup on my desktop computer which my HTPC computer accesses for MP3s, Videos, etc. They're shared over the network rather then using FTP to connect however.

mickb

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
Travelling Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
network

Like Kris I have my MP3 files on a files server and MP accesses them across my network. You will need to be able to share your Lacie HDD over the network and map the directory with your musicin it as a drive on your HTPC. Then it is just a matter of putting the path of the mapped drive in the MP configuration file.

sitdown

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
Tried to add the network folder.

Thanks for quick reply, went to bed as it was nighttime in Norway :)

Figure this is "easy" when the shared harddrive is on a computer, but mine is on a router!

I have tried to add the network drive with browsing butten. But the local folder is blank when i press ok.
I went to my network places - add network place and then ftp://10.0.0.1/ also tried to use with password and user name: ftp://admin@10.0.0.1/. When i click these in my network places i am able to access the harddrive.
Is there anyway else to do this??

Edit: Found the full path to my network places: C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\NetHood. Is it correct to copy this to local folder and mark this is a ftp folder and then put ftp://10.0.0.1/ in ftp server and set admin and password?? In the remote folder should there only be this?? /

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
You can also (in windows) assign a drive letter to you're network place. Then you can enter the drive as music folder in MP.

You will need a program like netdrive to mount the FTP site.
Netdrive is from Novell; as far as I know it's free to use (not open source, but something like abandon-ware/whatever-ware)
you can get it here, instructions provided.

sitdown

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
Hi there onkl.

As i read in a forum, net drive is a part of novel software package and if i do not got this i should not install this software.. If this is correct then.. Then first tried an network scanner that had the option to mount network drives. Could only mount my shared folders. This did not help, even if my lacie network folder is inside this share.

Then installed net drive, and set up the adress and login and so on. The folder on my Lacie do not show in my computer.. This might be that net drive are not able to connect. The message i receive is Can't connect to ftp...., Can't resolve URL ftp.....

Know any solution to this?? Or got any other ideas ??

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Rather sorry to have propose less legal solutions (though unintended) which don't work to top it off. :wink:

What might be another workaround is setting up your LaCie disk as a standard windows file share. It would depend on the specifications of your router, it is possible in some cases but certainly not all.
You may try support fora of LaCie or your router.
Once done, it will be a piece of cake to use the folder in MP.
Some other suggestions:
FTPDrive
WWWDrive
I've no experience with eighter, but understood they might both be able to do the job.

sitdown

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
No problem either the software is free to use or not, you did not know that. Can't say that i have only used legal software though :)

What might be another workaround is setting up your LaCie disk as a standard windows file share. It would depend on the specifications of your router, it is possible in some cases but certainly not all.

And how do i do this?

Tried the other software, did not help.
wwwdrive, had to registrate. Waiting for an mail, I will look further in to this tomorrow i think. Tired!

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I'm supposing your disk is connected to your router by USB.
If that's the case, the router is "managing" the disk. By now, it gives access to it as a ftp site. Howevwer, some routers also have the opportunity to let you access the disk via windows file sharing. It might also be called Samba, the linux equivalent of this protocol (a lot of routers use linux hidden deeply inside)
You may check the configuration webpage of your router or search the internet for the support forum of the router's manufacturer. (or the manual, if available)
It may or may not be easy to change this if possible (dunno), but it will be quite easy to find out whether it is possible.

sitdown

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
Ok, you give me hope! :) The Lacie is connected to the router with with usb. There is no such configuration in the ordinary meny system, but there are an alternative linux firmware out there, that gives the router more advanced functioanality. I will first try the forum and then install linux firmvare i think.
By the way my router is Asus Wl500G.
Thanks for all your help, I`m not home again in a couple of days. Mayby i will try tomorrow tomorrow or early on saturday. But be sure you will get a full report when i get through this!

May be that I'm a littlebit influenced by beers today, happy listning to music.. lol!
I`m greatful of all your help!
Where you from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom