Network ripped DVDs wont play (1 Viewer)

gusangora

Portal Pro
January 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have MP installed on 2 computers, linked via a network.
I have ripped several DVDs to the hard drive (using AnyDVD, retains DVD structure) which are stored on computer A.
These movies are playable with MP on computer A but not on computer B (via network). When I attempt to play the movie (via Moving pictures plugin), the external display shows the title of the movie, then says 'full screen video' but nothing happens. The display then reverts to showing "MediaPortal'. The same happens when I try to use My Videos to play the movie.
They will play on computer B with Windows Media Player but not with MP.
Other movies and TV Shows (either mkv or avi) play perfectly in MP on both computers (all files stored on computer A).
Is there a way to get computer B to play these files/movies? Or a workaround?

Whilst attempting to get a log of the event, Watchdog advises the following error:

"See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box."

TV-Server Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3wide
Windows Version: Vista Home Premium 32 bit
CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 E6600
HDD: Seagate 320g SATA2
Memory: 2g Kingston DDR2 800
Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Video Card: nvidia 8600GTS
Video Card Driver: 178
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: DNTV Live Hybrid
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PDVD8 + XviD
MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3 Filter
h.264 Video Codec: PDVD8
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC20M-B
Cooling:
Power Supply: Enermax Liberty 620W
Remote: Philips ProntoNG TSU7000
TV: Sony SXRD KS70R200
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI=>HDMI

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    did you enable "allow other users to change my files" in the sharing options for your ripped dvd folder?

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    By any chance do you use the 'normal' "DVD Navigator" ? I had something similar happening when trying to play ripped DVDs from a USB drive. It is a limitation of the Vista Built-In DVD navigator.

The first workaround I found was to use Vista Manager to map the whole disk to a folder on my local HDD. This might not work for a networked disk.

The alternative is to use PowerDVD 7 DVD navigator.

gusangora

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    did you enable "allow other users to change my files" in the sharing options for your ripped dvd folder?

Yes, I tried this already. Unfortunately, no difference.

By any chance do you use the 'normal' "DVD Navigator" ? I had something similar happening when trying to play ripped DVDs from a USB drive. It is a limitation of the Vista Built-In DVD navigator.

The first workaround I found was to use Vista Manager to map the whole disk to a folder on my local HDD. This might not work for a networked disk.

The alternative is to use PowerDVD 7 DVD navigator.

Can I use PowerDVD 7 DVD Navigator whilst still using PDVD8 codec? Or, do I need to revert to PDVD7?

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Can I use PowerDVD 7 DVD Navigator whilst still using PDVD8 codec? Or, do I need to revert to PDVD7?

Not sure about this one. In https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-external-players-55/stand-alone-filters-mediaportal-44614/ there is an explanation about how to install PowerDVD8 codec in some special way. From my experience I would not recommend using this way, as in my case it created more issues than it solved. But it did allow me on one machine to have PDVD7 navigator and only MPEG PDVD8 codec. The codec for H242 is not installed in this way though.

I cannot think about another solution than reverting to PDVD 7

gusangora

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am yet to try PDVD7 however I did try SAF - still didn't work.

I have changed Video Renderer from EVR to VMR9 and can now watch these movies however I have a lot of difficulty with the DVD menu (can't select many items, focus reverts to default).

gusangora

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have now uninstalled PDVD8 and installed SAF (including the PDVD8 codec).
    I can now play the networked movie/DVD folders, and navigate the menus using EVR. Must have been some issue with PDVD8 not allowing access to the networked movie folders (although mkv and avi were fine). However, as soon as I stop playback of the DVD, I get an error message stating that MP has stopped working. MP continues to be active but this message is permanently on screen. I can still watch movies, change to tv series etc until I click the error message. How to prevent this message?

Also, I now have an issue with audio on avi files (mkv no problem). When I render with graphstudio (example attached) and play, the audio is good and shows on my receiver as 5.1 audio. When I play via MP, the audio is very, very low and displays on the receiver as 2.0 - this is the same when I select the automatic decoder option within MP. How can I see which decoders MP is using? (I tried asking graphstudio to connect to a remote graph, I click connect but nothing is displayed).

Attachments

• graph.jpg
      graph.jpg
      83.1 KB

gusangora

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I no longer believe that the issue was with PDVD8.

It appears to have been audio related.

I fixed the audio in avi files by adding AC3 Filter to Video Post Processing in Video Player, with MPA Decoder Filter. The audio is still only 2.0 (ie not mixed to 5.1 by AC3Filter, which still occurs when using Graphstudio) but is audible and very acceptable. Is there a way to get MP to play files the same as Graphstudio?

The DVD Folders now play with MP but I had to set 'Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder' as DVD Audio Decoder and uncheck 'use AC3 Filter', otherwise there was either a black screen, no audio or return to selection screen (ie nothing happens). Using EVR, PDVD8 as decoder and DVD Navigator.

I continue get the error message when the DVD folder movie is stopped (but not every time). I would like to prevent this, of course. Also, I would like to confirm which filters/codecs MP is using.

I still can't create a log file, same JIT Debug error.

Also, I still don't understand why it all works well on the computer where the files are located but not via network. Isn't this the point of having a network?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom