porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I am about to install a Gigabit network and thought I would just try everything out before knocking holes in walls and drilling etc.

I have a brand new Gigabit switch and decided to temporarily connect my main HTPC/Media Server and my kitchen client. Plugged in, all works fine, however, I am not getting a speed higher than 100Mbps.

I have double checked the Win7 settings under Right click adapter > Properties > Configure button > Advanced tab > Speed and Duplex > 1.0gbps full - on both the Media Server and the client, and still get no higher speed than 100Mbps on the resource monitor.

The media server is a Gigabyte motherboard with a Realtek 8111C chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) on board. The client is a Zotac ZBox ID41 with a Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller (10/100/1000 Mbit)

My drivers are up to date and I am now at a loss as what to try next.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Last edited:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there

Welcome to the fustrating world of gigabit!!

In theory everything should work just fine - but it doesnt! I've had a recent issue where it does not matter what I tried, I could not get a PC to run at gbe speeds. I fully rebuilt it, different cables, drivers, ports - nothing worked. In the end I fitted an Intel NIC.

Although that initially only wanted to be 100, but after a bit of tweaking its now gbe :)

Another example... I have another machine connected gbe speeds...works fine.... I inserted a another gbe switch inbetween the PC and the main switch.... and now the interconnect speed is only 100mbps - WTF!!

I am using Netgear switches....and I am beginning to think they are shite! :(

People do suggest certain tricks like "fully unplugging" the hardware to let things discharge....or turning off "green" ethernet, etc...

Dont have this trouble at work (using decent kit) where everything works at 1gbe and 10gbe speeds :D

J.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Last edited:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Even though you have forced the speed to gigabit on both ends...what is the reported speed - only 100mbits?

Have you tried plugging them directly into each other with a crossover cable (to rule out the switch)?

There is not normally anything in the BIOS for NICs (bar PXE/LAN Boot) - Never seen anything for speed :(

J.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Jay,

The reported speed (during a file transfer) is anything from 11.4 > 12.4 MBps.

I don't have a crossover cable, although I could knock one up to try it.

You are correct, nothing in BIOS about speed.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Update - I got a crossover cable and connected to the main HTPC/Server and the kitchen client and both ends couldn't even see each other. After messing about for an hour I gave up.

I suppose I was just expecting each machine to see each other and be listed under "network" in windows explorer. I'll try again when I have a bit more time available and also when I have done a bit of googling and reading to see how to do it.

I'll report back with progress.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

What IP address did they have? Static?

You will have lost any DNS, but local broadcasts should still work (depending on your network setup)

J.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    This is what I do for a living
    Good switch + good cables + good NICs = GB
    Cheap home crap just wont work, don't waste your time!

Last edited:

Schicksal

Portal Pro
    February 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How many MB/s is normal for filetransfer over gibt Ethernet?
    I'm somewhere around 23 to 30 over SMB. Is that ok for win7 without raid as fileserver?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom