[solved] NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProvider and failing lookup of server on Win7 (1 Viewer)

cschlote

March 23, 2014
Home Country
Germany Germany
Yesterday I installed MP-2 and built it from Scratch. Fine code work and build system. Now my problem: It was impossible to add my NAS to the global shares. Yes, I provided credentials. I also checked the logs on the NAS and debugged MP2-Server.

The access was perfectly fine, but the call "NetworkResourcesEnumerator.EnumerateResources(ResourceScope.GlobalNet, ResourceType.Disk, ResourceUsage.All, ResourceDisplayType.Server);" just takes ages. Long enough to trigger the timeout for the operation. I tried to increase the TimeOut value in the UPnP lib - doesn't help much, because there seem to be other timeouts happening.

So next back to the roots of the problem. Why is the method taking such a long time? And, yes, also Explorer takes ages to lookup all my hosts.

The solution: Check your Network interfaces. You might have VMWare or similiar installed and as well some virtual network interfaces. You must uncheck the network topology client/server services for these interfaces at least. And optionally any other service I won't need for these interfaces.

Now the servers will lookup within 30 seconds. I can add SMB shares now with MP2 (todays dev git branch). I didn't check, if the increased timeout for UPnP is still required. If such an increased timeout should be needed, some more code work would be required.

For the GUI it would be nice to report on the timeout and give some hints on the network interfaces. For a simple test the user just needs to deactivate all interfaces except of the primary interface. Maybe I will add some code for this...

So just in case somebody else has problems with SMB shares and MediaPortal 2, I hope it helps. (Might apply for MP1, didn't checked that.)

Greets
Carsten

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom