New Build - Jerky Playback After Resume (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So now trying D3D11 but as the issue is intermittent it may take some time to see if it's fixed.

Also is there any reason not to update to the latest LAV filter version?
    Interesting, I also use D3D11 in conjunction with Madvr and it is considerably more efficient than DVXA2-Copyback with my AMD graphics though in its initial version it did not support TV Channel switching and still sometimes pixelates for a short time when changing channels and ending TV playback. I assume you were using or tested the Intel Quickicksync hardware decoder?
    Just for interest on resume from sleep what is Windows saying about the refresh rate, Right click anywhere on the desktop, select "Display Settings/Advanced Display.
    There should be no problem updating LAV and who knows it might help, I am using 79.0 on my HTPC but have not tried 79.2 yet.
    I really do not believe you should need to close MP before going into standby and restart it on resume as a work around for this problem! I did not need to do that with Win 10 or indeed Win 7 and still don't with Win 11!

Last edited:

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Sadly, I think that this may be a puzzle that will never be solved. :eek: :cry:

At this point I would look for a workaround. The workaround that works is to close MP before sleeping your system, and then restart MP after the wake. It should be possible to create a solution that:
    • Automatically closes the MP client if you sleep your system with the MP client still running.
    • Restarts the MP client when your system wakes from sleep.
    On my system I use an AutoHotKey script to close the MP client if I accidentally hibernate my system with the MP client playing live TV or video. The script sends to the MP window a lower case "b" character to stop playback, followed by ALT_F4 to close MP. However, I use an over-complicated setup to do this, which I would not recommend for anyone else. The setting mentioned above looks to be an easier way of achieving the desired result.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    You may be correct about never solving it but hey where is the fun in just giving up :)

I'm sure I can do what you are saying if the need arises (y)

I also use a combination of Harmony One remote, FLIRC and Eventghost to do automated startup and other script based commands. I initiate from the remote stuff like run xxcopy command to save recordings to another disk, shutdown and restart of MP using the internal command (shutdown 1) as well as shutdown and restart of MP via Eventghost in case MP is really locked up (shutdown 2) and as a last resort PC shutdown and reboot via Eventghost if the whole thing has gone pear shaped (shutdown 3).

Interesting, I also use D3D11 in conjunction with Madvr and it is considerably more efficient than DVXA2-Copyback with my AMD graphics though in its initial version it did not support TV Channel switching and still sometimes pixelates for a short time when changing channels and ending TV playback. I assume you were using or tested the Intel Quickicksync hardware decoder?
    Just for interest on resume from sleep what is Windows saying about the refresh rate, Right click anywhere on the desktop, select "Display Settings/Advanced Display.
    There should be no problem updating LAV and who knows it might help, I am using 79.0 on my HTPC but have not tried 79.2 yet.
    I really do not believe you should need to close MP before going into standby and restart it on resume as a work around for this problem! I did not need to do that with Win 10 or indeed Win 7 and still don't with Win 11!

No I didn't test Quicksync as it appeared from other forums that it may be more superseded than the others so that's why I'm trying D3D11. If that doesn't work then Quicksync is the next option.

Ok I'll check the refresh rate on resume from sleep.

Yes not really a fan of going down the route of closing MP before standby although it is still an option that could be helpful. I would probably just keep using my automated MP restart commands (as mentioned above) as it is very easy to do and they fix the problem.

Slow steps at this stage as I still need to get the whole Win10 system fully setup and I take disc images as I go because I've been caught before doing something that screws up a perfectly functioning system and is such an easy fix to just reinstall an old image.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    So after some more testing with the decoders they all seem to still stutter on startup intermittently and some have pixelation issues as well. Probably the most stable is the D3D11.

In another thread I found that by pressing Shift + 1 you can bring up this display info.

The first image with the 30 fps and the lower render time was ok with no stutter.

The second image had the stutter on startup of MP after resume from sleep.

Therefore no real fix found with trying different decoders :(

Display No Stutter1.jpg

Display Stutter1.jpg

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm trying to add some photos but can't seem to get them attached? Any clues what I might be doing wrong?
    .jpeg definitely should work and maybe .png (not what I use) but not all pic formats are accepted.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    .jpeg definitely should work and maybe .png (not what I use) but not all pic formats are accepted.
    All sorted now with images attached as above.

The problem attaching the images was the dugh brain user as well as the image size being too big

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom