New Build - Jerky Playback After Resume (1 Viewer)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
I have just updated my mobo and installed Win 10. I then imported all my old settings that were working ok on my old Win 7 system.

Now nearly all the time after resuming from sleep the live tv picture is jerky like a 1/2 second stutter.

Without restarting MP I tried playing one of the recorded .ts files using windows internal media player and this worked ok.
I then tried running the same file from MP and it was also jerky like live tv.

If I restart MP then that fixes the problem and all is good until the next sleep resume so it would appear as though the issue is with MP and not the new system.

I have attached the log file

Hoping for some guidance about where to start looking

Thanks

Attachments

• MP Log After Unsuccessful Start - Video Jerky.zip
    2.2 MB
Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Now nearly all the time after resuming from sleep the live tv picture is jerky like a 1/2 second stutter.
    I have looked at your log files, but as usual they are pretty unintelligible :(. However...

For some reason I am under the impression that you are in Australia, where the electric mains frequency is 50Hz. As a result, your graphics adapter should be set to a refresh rate of 50Hz (or a multiple or submultiple thereof), and not 60Hz (or a multiple or submultiple thereof).

The log files "evr.log" and "evr.bak" show that your display seems to be running at 30Hz (search for the string Hz).

Although Windows Media Player plays the files without stutter, it is possible that Media Player knows that the frame rate of the file is 25 frames/sec progressive, or 50 fields/sec interlaced, and so changes the refresh rate of the display to play the file, and then re-instates the original refresh rate at the end of play.

Getting truly smooth playback is really difficult. In the UK both 25 frames/sec progressive, and 50 fields/sec interlaced are used, and I have even seen (on my Sony TV) the type of scan changing within a single advertisement (when the advertisement uses video from different sources). You might think that selecting progressive scan (25p) in your graphics adapter is the better choice, but I have found that interlaced scan (50i) gives slightly better results, but jerky horizontal scolling of tickertape newsfeeds, and jerky vertical scrolling of programme credits, is still evident. :(

Finally, I get the impression from your post that you sleep your system with MP still open. I never do that, as it is infamous for not working properly. I exit MP before hibernating my system, and then restart MP from the desktop using the START button on the remote control.

Finally finally, the above may all be a complete load of... balderdash. :eek:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Further to the sound advice from @CyberSimian please check MP has loaded and is using LAV video/audio renderer, see screenshot -1 below and that the settings in LAV highlighted in green in screenshot -2 are apropriate for your (Intel?) graphics.
    I put my HTPC in standby without closing MP and have no stutter problems on resume from sleep (AMD graphics). Having said that I have a vague recollection :unsure:of a similar problem reported with Intel graphics, I will do some searching and come back here if I find something.

lav-1.jpglav-2.jpg

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    For some reason I am under the impression that you are in Australia, where the electric mains frequency is 50Hz
    Correct although I might as well be in the UK because of the rain

I will look at the other stuff you have suggested regarding the refresh rate although it only happens after resume from sleep so not sure why it wouldn't be a problem all the time but stranger things (n)

Finally, I get the impression from your post that you sleep your system with MP still open. I never do that, as it is infamous for not working properly. I exit MP before hibernating my system, and then restart MP from the desktop using the START button on the remote control.
    True but it will resume during the night anyway for recording and sometimes it is recording when the rest of the system is switched off.

I guess by "exit MP" you mean close MP completely. I've never done that because I don't know how it affects the scheduled recordings? Do they still record without the main MP program running?

Further to the sound advice from @CyberSimian please check MP has loaded and is using LAV video/audio renderer, see screenshot -1 below and that the settings in LAV highlighted in green in screenshot -2 are apropriate for your (Intel?) graphics.
    I put my HTPC in standby without closing MP and have no stutter problems on resume from sleep (AMD graphics). Having said that I have a vague recollection :unsure:of a similar problem reported with Intel graphics, I will do some searching and come back here if I find something.

View attachment 213836View attachment 213837

Ok will check this out

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Correct although I might as well be in the UK because of the rain
    :(

I will look at the other stuff you have suggested regarding the refresh rate although it only happens after resume from sleep so not sure why it wouldn't be a problem all the time but stranger things (n)
    Yes, I cannot explain that either. The problem may not be related to the refresh rate, but one needs to investigate different possibilities to (hopefully) find the cause of the problem.

De-interlacing is a particular problem, because there seem to be several places where de-interlacing settings exist. The second screen shot from @joecrow shows six different de-interlace settings, and my elderly Nvidia graphics adapter has its own settings for de-interlacing. With so many settings, it is not easy to find the optimum combination. :(

I guess by "exit MP" you mean close MP completely. I've never done that because I don't know how it affects the scheduled recordings? Do they still record without the main MP program running?
    MP consists of two parts:
    • The MP client, which is the visible face of MP, and which runs on the PC connected to your screen.
    • TV Server, which is a background service that runs all of the time, and which is responsible for waking the PC, recording a programme, and then sleeping or hibernating the PC when the recording is finished. TV Server can run on the PC connected to the screen, or run on a separate PC (possibly in a different room) where it acts only as a server (not an MP client).
    So closing the MP client in no way affects the ability of TV Server to record programmes. :)

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    MP consists of two parts:
    • The MP client, which is the visible face of MP, and which runs on the PC connected to your screen.
    • TV Server, which is a background service that runs all of the time, and which is responsible for waking the PC, recording a programme, and then sleeping or hibernating the PC when the recording is finished. TV Server can run on the PC connected to the screen, or run on a separate PC (possibly in a different room) where it acts only as a server (not an MP client).
    So closing the MP client in no way affects the ability of TV Server to record programmes. :)

Good to know as a shutdown and restart will probably fix the problem but I will persevere and check out some of the suggestions

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Having said that I have a vague recollection :unsure:of a similar problem reported with Intel graphics, I will do some searching and come back here if I find something.
    I haven't found anything but it could have been an issue way back with the Madvr renderer and its introduction as an of the option in MP 1.
    Did you get a chance yet to check out the LAV install and settings?

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    No not yet but hopefully this week / next weekend I will get to it fingers crossed

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    For some reason I am under the impression that you are in Australia, where the electric mains frequency is 50Hz. As a result, your graphics adapter should be set to a refresh rate of 50Hz (or a multiple or submultiple thereof), and not 60Hz (or a multiple or submultiple thereof).

The log files "evr.log" and "evr.bak" show that your display seems to be running at 30Hz (search for the string Hz).

I don't believe that this is correct after doing some research at least for my system.

My Intel IGPU 730 only has two settings 30Hz and 60Hz for 4K resolution so even though I am on the PAL system I can't run it at the PAL frequency.

My understanding is the adapter does a conversion on the video frame rate and converts it to 30Hz for display. I could change it to 60 Hz but it seems as though some people have issues with running it at 60 Hz. I may try this at some point but for now I am happy with my 30 Hz setting.

View attachment 213836View attachment 213837
    I tried this setting with my Intel IGPU 730 and I still have the same problem of intermittent stutter when resume from sleep. Also noticed some pixelation when changing between channels on initial change and also when starting to play a recording. So that decoder didn't seem to help and had other issues.

So now trying D3D11 but as the issue is intermittent it may take some time to see if it's fixed.

Also is there any reason not to update to the latest LAV filter version?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    My understanding is the adapter does a conversion on the video frame rate and converts it to 30Hz for display.
    If I restart MP then that fixes the problem and all is good until the next sleep resume
    Clearly something changes as a result of the sleep/wake cycle, the question is what? It could be:
    • Some value within MP.
    • Some value in the display driver.
    • Some value within Windows.
    Sadly, I think that this may be a puzzle that will never be solved. :eek: :cry:

At this point I would look for a workaround. The workaround that works is to close MP before sleeping your system, and then restart MP after the wake. It should be possible to create a solution that:
    • Automatically closes the MP client if you sleep your system with the MP client still running.
    • Restarts the MP client when your system wakes from sleep.
    If you switch to "Expert Mode" for the "PowerScheduler" plugin in "TV Server Config", the "Advanced" tab has the setting Run command on system power state change. It looks as though that could be used to run a program to close MP on sleep, and restart MP on wake. I have never tried this, so it may or may not work.

On my system I use an AutoHotKey script to close the MP client if I accidentally hibernate my system with the MP client playing live TV or video. The script sends to the MP window a lower case "b" character to stop playback, followed by ALT_F4 to close MP. However, I use an over-complicated setup to do this, which I would not recommend for anyone else. The setting mentioned above looks to be an easier way of achieving the desired result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom