Codecs new Codecs from ATI !!! (1 Viewer)

wolfi_b

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: new Codecs from ATI !!!

They were only included in the 10.2 BETA Version.

JCsHands

Portal Member
    May 16, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    You need to download the Avivo codecs, its listed under the Optional Downloads. I am running the 10.5 version on Windows 7 with a Athlon 3500+ and ATI 3450 and can decode 720P video just fine. I dont know how well it works with over the air video, but as far as the videos I have wanted to watch it has worked just fine.

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    No, i was just curious if they were already installed, but i am pretty satisfied with the MS codecs. However, i think there is room for much improvement on say, Viasat Fotball and Viasat 4, considering the quality on the WC games these days. But that might just be the broadcast. To describe the image quality, i would compare it with a low quality jpeg image, where you can see a lot of noise around the players, especially when the camera is far away. I think CyberLink codecs might be better, but they also cause other problems for me, like freezing picture 1 sec every 10 minutes or so, so i have given up the SAF pack...

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Viasat is not know for their good image quality that's for sure.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I downloaded the latest version of the Avivo codecs yesterday (I upgraded the ATI drivers and CCC software as well to the latest version (15 september 2010)) and tried with the dutch HD channels here.

No frame drops, that is good, but the deinterlacing is terrible, certainly with quick moving scenes the deinterlacing combing effect is clearly visible. I set the deinterlacing in the CCC software to Automatic.

CoreAVC and PowerDVD10 work best.

Lots

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Well AVIVO is used to code videos, not to decode. The reason why ATI include video decoder in to AVIVO pack is ability to recompress more video sources - they need to decode it first (here the decoder is in use) then encode.

Thier decoder is not developed to be used in external apps. There si no HW deinterlacing or DXVA support at all (this is not needed in reencode process).

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well AVIVO is used to code videos, not to decode. The reason why ATI include video decoder in to AVIVO pack is ability to recompress more video sources - they need to decode it first (here the decoder is in use) then encode.

Thier decoder is not developed to be used in external apps. There si no HW deinterlacing or DXVA support at all (this is not needed in reencode process).

Thanks Hoborg!

That explains a lot, thanks, I didnt know that, I thought it was there to watch video/TV as well.

Lots

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom