New DVB-T Board that can switch channel at the Light speed ! (1 Viewer)

miljbee

Portal Pro
November 11, 2005
Orléans, France
Home Country
France France
Dear all,

i have already an Hauppauge HVR 1300 and would like to buy a new dvb-t board to be able to watch and record tv at the same time. The main quality of this board must be FAST FAST FAST FAST FAST Channel switching.

Do you have some advices ?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I think that you will find that the speed of channels changes is a function of the software TV viewing application, and is not affected by which brand of DVB-T card is used.

I have noticed that the speed of DVB-T channel changes has improved considerably with 0.2.0.0RC2 and recent CVS.

However, if I use the TV software supplied with my card, the channel changes are almost instantaneous, I assume because this application does not use the BDA drivers.

s3070416

Portal Member
    December 8, 2005
    Taipan said:
    I think that you will find that the speed of channels changes is a function of the software TV viewing application, and is not affected by which brand of DVB-T card is used.

My Compro DVB-T300 takes a consistent 5-6 seconds to change channel regardless of whether I'm using MediaPortal, the software that came with the card or several other packages I tried. I think maybe my card is just a dud :)

I've heard that Dvico cards are faster and Avermedia is faster still - but that's probably all just hearsay.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    hi all

for me the lifeview duo changes straight away, alright 1 second lag with their software and about 3 seconds in MP. but MP knocks the spots of lifeview software which although you got PIP and direct mpeg recording
    the EPG is Crap and the ability to just have a window open in the corner of your screen there is'nt. saying that the new software/driver combination now let you fill fullscreen and it does'nt appear to lose driver no matter how many times pc sleeps.

Ray 8)

falcc

Portal Member
    August 9, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    There is a difference in hardware. I have a Compro and an Avermedia 777. I bought the Avermedia as they seem to have a reputation as the fastest channel changers.

It smokes the Compro and is quicker than any STB I have seen.

I'm currently using MCE but have stuck my nose back in here to see how MediaPortal is going (MCE is starting to really #$%^ me :)

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

and please bear in mind, that MP has a configurable ZAP-delay for the ZAP-OSD. This is set to 2 seconds:
    Setup->Movies->OSD->ZAP Delay

Flip.

miljbee

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2005
    Orléans, France
    Home Country
    France France
    Interresting thing

Finally, i bought an ads tech Instant TV DVB-T PCI and the channel change speed is accepetable, but one thing i noticed is that DVB-T Channel Change speed is directly related to the strengrth/quality of the aerial signal.

I have add some troubles to get a clear reception, so i decided to buy a new antenna, and to put it on my roof. After doing that, TV was better, and channel switch speed was greatly improved.

So if you find that channel change is too slow, try to improve the quality of the signal ...

pavke

Portal Member
    March 11, 2005
    Leuven, Belgium
    I can confirm what FALCC said before. I also went from a Compro to an Avermedia (the newest hybrid one) - not for the swift channel changing, but anyway. Channel changing is now instantaneous, that is to say : as fast as my TV set itself, say 1-2 sec. And that with un unchanged antenna, PC, MP config ...

So to me at least it is clear that the capture board and/or its driver is the main factor ...

CX23882-19

Portal Member
    March 6, 2005
    DVB-t cards with the DiBcom DIB-3000 demod (Hauppauge Nova-t USB2, Avermedia DVB-T USB2) are capable of changing channels very quickly (instantaneous if you decide to not do as much software buffering), much quicker than the Conexant CX22702.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom