new graphiccard, makes sense? (1 Viewer)

fera

Portal Pro
October 13, 2005
Hi,

i m currently running MP with an GeForce 4 MX graphic card. Would it make sense to switch to a better one? (When yes: Which one?)

My MP crahes from time to time... could that be caused by the gf4?

Thanks for you time.

I forgot: I m currenty using a Computer Flatscreen so the TV OUT wouldnt be an issue. I m planning on buying a HDTV screen. Do they all have VGA Ports or how would i connect them with my htpc?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Fera
    not enough information about your current system to give full answer but any DX9 compatible card with DVI and TV out will do, if you also want it for gaming a midrange Nvidia 6600 is good.

Ray 8)

fera

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2005
    I dont wanna dont play games. First of all i would like to know whether changing from a GF 4 MX to an FX 5200 would make sense.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    If you want the best video playback the NVidia PureVideo and ATi Avivo cards are best.

The Avivo based cards were shown to have lower CPU usage in video playback and better quality for some sources:
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1916994,00.asp

I don't have an NVidia so I can't make any suggestions beyond support for PureVideo.

For Avivo cards...
    For a passive cooled PCI express card I'd suggest an X1300 from Sapphire. I own this one and I love it:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102622

One review:
    http://casemodgod.com/Reviews-story--96.html
    BTW, there is another review where they overclocked the card and you are welcome to search for it it you care.

For hard core gaming I'd suggest going with at least an X1600 based card.

If you want an AGP card (and that's what it sounds like) this would be your only Avivo option I'm aware of and it's X1600 based:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102677

Kinda pricy that last one but it will stomp on the other mentioned cards.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    fera said:
    I dont wanna dont play games. First of all i would like to know whether changing from a GF 4 MX to an FX 5200 would make sense.

The 5200 supporst DirectX 9 and would work with new versions of MP.
    However, it doesn't have as many video features as the higher end cards.
    Some of the 5200 cards will have better TV out than others. Not all are created equal so cheapest may not be best. However, they are the least expensive DirectX 9 option and are fine if you don't want more 3D speed or video features.

Without a DirectX 9 card you won't be able to upgrade MP and even old versions run better on a DX9 card so from that standpoint it does make sense.

fera

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2005
    Tech Geek said:
    fera said:

The 5200 supporst DirectX 9 and would work with new versions of MP.
    However, it doesn't have as many video features as the higher end cards.
    Some of the 5200 cards will have better TV out than others. Not all are created equal so cheapest may not be best. However, they are the least expensive DirectX 9 option and are fine if you don't want more 3D speed or video features.

Without a DirectX 9 card you won't be able to upgrade MP and even old versions run better on a DX9 card so from that standpoint it does make sense.

"Video features"? What kind of features? What would be the benefit?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Fera

Both nvidia and ati cards will do the business but if you go for a mid range card they support other benefits like onboard mpeg2 chips which take some of the work away from the CPU, which makes your pc respond better. THINK FUTURE

Ray 8)

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    If you look at the article I posted a link to you will see the comparison of two cards with hardware assisted video decoding.

If there can be that much difference in CPU usage between two cards with hardware assist.... imagine what it's like vs a card with none.

Then consider the fact that a slower CPU spends a higher % of it's time decoding than a fast CPU and the difference between hardware assist and none becomes more dramatic.

Add to that the features like noise removal from the video and color correction or whatever and you also have a better picture with the better cards.

If you have a very limited budget it's a moot point and a 5200 is better than what you have now.

fera

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2005
    But GPU Power is A LOT more expensive then CPU Power. I think its cheaper to buy a better CPU then a very good gpu. Correct me if i m wrong.

Hm, picture correction? Isnt that more a question of the codec?

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    fera said:
    But GPU Power is A LOT more expensive then CPU Power. I think its cheaper to buy a better CPU then a very good gpu. Correct me if i m wrong.

It depends on the GPU. As you go up in 3D performance prices ramp up pretty quick. However, Avivo is Avivo no matter which GPU it's paired with so spending more won't get you more Avivo. I spent $66.

Hm, picture correction? Isnt that more a question of the codec?

Noise filtering and color correction are faster in hardware and a CPU would have to be much faster to do it and everything else. Then you are into the situation where the CPU is more expensive than the GPU.

For this situation any DirectX 9 card would be better.

I don't see spending almost $200 on *any* AGP graphics card.
    I think the money would be better spend on a socket 754 board, CPU and a PCIx graphics card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom