[NVIDIA] New Graphics card /northbridge problem (1 Viewer)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Country flag
    Yo!

Im thinking of getting a new graphics card at the moment for my system (see pictures of my mobo in my sig below).. currently i have an Nvidia 8600GT. Im wanting an Nvidia 240/460 for the extra MPEG2 decoding from the card. The 40nm graphics card have VP4 which includes MPEG2 decoding.

Theres nothing wrong with my setup atm..but id like to see what the newer card can do for me in MP(especially since all HDTV in australia is still on MPEG2).

Im sure its worth getting either card..but the problem i have is with the Northbridge heatsink which is extremely close to the card...and doesnt really allow a card with a big case/cooler box ...unless i can change the Northbridge situation.

My current Northbridge heatsink is Zalman ZM-NB32K which is 32mm high and its TOO High for a bigger graphics card (already tried with the Nvidia 285GTX).

Zalman have a slightly different heatsink Zalman ZM-NB47J but im still not sure if it will allow a bigger card.

Anyone have experience with this kind of setup and can offer some help?

Could i just not have a northbridge heatsink?

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Country flag
    ah ha perfect! thanks dude i knew there was a solution!

however a gt220 seems about right on for the htpc ...and considering my MP PC is a quad core it already has plenty of grunt

if i were to get into gaming on this PC id want a decent GPU...however...again..when i tried my 285gtx the case wouldnt close...lol....

i think ill have to settle for MP on my big screen and only play games on my other gaming PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Hi There, im currently using an Intel NUC (i5-5250U) with an internal Intel HD Graphics 6000 card, Unfortunately this card is not able to play UHD content (Movies/TV). So my first thought was about getting an external Graphics card which would allow me to watch UHD Movies/TV at 60hz. Gaming is not relevant for me. I would appreciate...
    Hi There, im currently using an Intel NUC (i5-5250U) with an internal Intel HD Graphics 6000 card, Unfortunately this card is not...
    Hi There, im currently using an Intel NUC (i5-5250U) with an internal Intel HD Graphics 6000 card, Unfortunately this card is not...
    Replies
    Views
    Hmmm, maybe the theory is incorrect. But what I did when I collected the logs was to start MediaPortal and wait for a long time, and the kill it. What I'm saying I did later was to let the settings application run without killing it. I'm thinking that maybe if I kill the settings app when it's not ready it will end up in some bade...
    Hmmm, maybe the theory is incorrect. But what I did when I collected the logs was to start MediaPortal and wait for a long time...
    Hi, I I am a new user migrating from windows media center. I had my two analog TV cards working since installation. Now one of the...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi. I have tested MP1, and ofcurse its not superfast, but I have get it to work with my CrystalHD card, so its only take about 15-20& cpu. Sadly I cant get MP2 to work. When I start a movie the time going on, but the screen is black. In MP1 it was so many setup tools, but I cant find so many in MP2. Just which codec to use. There I...
    Hi. I have tested MP1, and ofcurse its not superfast, but I have get it to work with my CrystalHD card, so its only take about...
    Hi. My first post here. I am going to setup 3 htpc machines at home. I have before looked at Kodi/Xbmc, but I didnt like the GUI...
    Replies
    Views
    No problem, and thanks for the explanation. :) Yep, this looks better now. (y) To be clear: having the tuners paired as a hybrid tuner is/was the right thing to do. I would recommend that you recreate/reconfigure the hybrid group. Your understanding seems to be incorrect. The purpose of pairing the tuners is to inform TV Server...
    No problem, and thanks for the explanation. :) Yep, this looks better now. (y) To be clear: having the tuners paired as a hybrid...
    After trying to scan for analog channels on an Asus TV Tuner Card (PS3-110), I get the following message upon failure to scan...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi there, I've been spending a LOT of time the past few days reading up on how to setup hardware to allow watching live TV on various devices and had a few questions. My requirements are as follows: .... I just want to be able to stream some OTA HD channels to the following devices; Roku 3, iPad, Android phone, a few boxes running...
    Hi there, I've been spending a LOT of time the past few days reading up on how to setup hardware to allow watching live TV on...
    Hi there, I've been spending a LOT of time the past few days reading up on how to setup hardware to allow watching live TV on...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom