[NVIDIA] New Graphics card /northbridge problem (1 Viewer)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yo!

Im thinking of getting a new graphics card at the moment for my system (see pictures of my mobo in my sig below).. currently i have an Nvidia 8600GT. Im wanting an Nvidia 240/460 for the extra MPEG2 decoding from the card. The 40nm graphics card have VP4 which includes MPEG2 decoding.

Theres nothing wrong with my setup atm..but id like to see what the newer card can do for me in MP(especially since all HDTV in australia is still on MPEG2).

Im sure its worth getting either card..but the problem i have is with the Northbridge heatsink which is extremely close to the card...and doesnt really allow a card with a big case/cooler box ...unless i can change the Northbridge situation.

My current Northbridge heatsink is Zalman ZM-NB32K which is 32mm high and its TOO High for a bigger graphics card (already tried with the Nvidia 285GTX).

Zalman have a slightly different heatsink Zalman ZM-NB47J but im still not sure if it will allow a bigger card.

Anyone have experience with this kind of setup and can offer some help?

Could i just not have a northbridge heatsink?

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ah ha perfect! thanks dude i knew there was a solution!

however a gt220 seems about right on for the htpc ...and considering my MP PC is a quad core it already has plenty of grunt

if i were to get into gaming on this PC id want a decent GPU...however...again..when i tried my 285gtx the case wouldnt close...lol....

i think ill have to settle for MP on my big screen and only play games on my other gaming PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom