New HTPC based on Core i3 - Questions about the case and components (1 Viewer)

jonm

Portal Pro
January 12, 2009
Wales
Home Country
Wales Wales
I'm going bite the bullet and order the parts and build a new HTPC using an i3/Asus board, I'll report back.

psiebe

Portal Pro
March 29, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
any news on the performance of the Core i3? really looking forward to some real mediaportal related info.

thanks,
Patrick

o0X0o

Portal Pro
August 19, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
When you say 1080i HDTV, do you mean live digital TV? Because I would think that your tuner card, drivers and codec choice would be important considerations as much as anything?

For media playback I found that each release of the Intel drivers was improving the situation, but the picture quality was still crap on all high-def material. Kind of like it was struggling with contrast or colour depth, + some blockiness. The posts by drealit on page 1 give you the idea of symptoms and cause. Even as of December the situation had improved (see post by pgroe on page 2), but still lagged behind ATI and nVidia.

I gave up, purchased an ATI HD5450 and never looked back. The Core i3/5 series have plenty of power for a HTPC with good thermal properties and are pretty cost-effective. But my advice is that if you value your time and care about picture quality, spend $40 on a discrete video card like an ATI 5450 or G210...

jonm

Portal Pro
January 12, 2009
Wales
Home Country
Wales Wales
Yes, I mean live TV, from satellite. I guess I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'd never describe the PQ as "crap" - it's certainly (subjectively) better than my S*y HD box, and that's good for me. And yes the tuner card drivers and codec are indeed all important, but the point for me was that the previous Intel on-board GPU I was using wasn't quite grunty enough to play HDTV properly in MP - the one I have now (Core i3) is.

(NB I had issues the one time I tried an nvidia card, in that it sent my TV's power-saving feature crazy so the picture was dimming and un-dimming every few seconds - so it was no good for me. Never tried ATI, admittedly.)

kkozma

Portal Pro
February 16, 2009
Dayton, OH
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've been running an i3 setup for nearly a near now and I have ZERO complaints with it's performance. I have no issue with codecs and to me the PQ is excellent. I'm using the Microsoft DTV codecs for all the video decoders and ffdshow for all the audio. Works perfectly fine for me regardless of what I throw at it. 1080i ATSC Live TV, Blu-ray, h264, VC-1, you name it. It just works and it was far easier to set up and get working than anything from ATI or nVidia that I've ever used.

furnibird

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 15, 2008
    Sydney
    Hi all
    With this set up below should i run win 7 32 or 64 bit for MP to run at its best. :D

i3-2100T
    H67M-ITX AsRock Motherboard
    4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
    500GB WD SATA 3 Caviar Blue 7200rpm HDD
    Silverstone SG06 Black Case

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom