New HTPC Guide for Beginners in the USA (1 Viewer)

ClayMontgomery

Portal Member
September 16, 2013
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have published a new HTPC Guide which is geared specifically for beginners that want Live TV/DVR features in the USA. This guide is not intended to be comprehensive, but will get you up and running quickly with the combination of MediaPortal, XBMC and SchedulesDirect on Windows. Check it out:

The Best HTPC Solution for Internet and Live HDTV in America

http://montgomery1.com/htpc/

Regards, Clay

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Nicely written Guide, with a few good recommendations. But may I offer another point of view.

I don't have XBMC, and I've been quite happy the last 5 years with MediaPortal and Schedules Direct using my 2 SiliconDust HDHomeRuns for 4 channel DVR. I don't have any paid subscription services, other than EPG from SchedulesDirect for OTA broadcast TV. I believe a section on setting up an HTPC for those who don't feel the need to use, and keep current, 2 media center solutions concurrently might be a good addition to your guide, as MediaPortal alone is sufficient for many users. A plethora of subscription services are available directly through the current crop of smart TVs, so the addition of XBMC for those services, in my opinion, is redundant.

Best regards,

Chuck

ClayMontgomery

Portal Member
    September 16, 2013
    Texas
    Home Country
    Thanks! I think MediaPortal and XBMC are both wonderful. With my guide, I'm not trying to declare a winner, just provide a clear starting point for those who don't know where to start. I see your point that MediaPortal alone is easier to install and more comprehensive, but I don’t like the default skin. Of course, there are better skins available, but it takes some time to install them and find one you like. The default XBMC skin (Confluence) is very nice “right out of the box”. MediaPortal and XBMC have different strengths and seem to compliment each other. Having both installed makes it easy to compare for yourself and I think anyone going to all the trouble to build a HTPC will probably do that anyway.

It’s unclear to me how they compare in the area of available plugins. I plan to evaluate more of the popular plugins for both and add some guidance on that.

Regards, Clay

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom