Ongoing New HTPC in a DVD player Case (1 Viewer)

Visuaguy

Portal Member
October 31, 2005
Haarlem, the netherlands
While planning my own HTPC I came to the conclusion that no available case would do the trick for me.
solution; build your own!

The componentes for the job are drippling in right now (limited funds so i'm spreading the damage)

Motherboard: Asus a8n-vm CSM
CPU: athlon 64 3200 venice
CPU Cooler: Zalman 7000 ALCU
Memory: 2x Twinmos 512MB
Harddisk: Samsung 250 GB spinpoint s-ata
DVD player: panasonic UJ-845 slim line slot in dual layer.
128x64 blue /white lcd in the front of the case.

planned for later stage: Digital everywhere FloppyDTV+conax cam for DVB-T in holland.

I started with a cyberhome DVD player (which did not work anymore)
this case's size was acceptable, the only drawback is that a standard (quiet) PSU would not fit by 0,6 cm in heigth, so I had to cut it out and lower it in the case. the PSU is resessed now and fits just right. there is also space for a big 12cm psu fan if needed.

the frontpanel will have to be made by myself though, as all mounting spaces are custom.

I just bolted in the motherboard for correct fitting and i finally got the spacers in the right place.

after that the PSU Goes in.

I will post some pictures of the Work in progress later on.

If anyone has some suggestions for must have featurs any mediaportal htpc must own. be my guest and post your comments

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    sounds like a great project. I was thinking of doing similar a while ago but never got around to it. -> Mounting an old notebook with a broken LCD into a dead DVD player to become a HTPC. Strangely the thing that held me up was finding a nice looking dead dvd player?

Visuaguy

Portal Member
    October 31, 2005
    Haarlem, the netherlands
    Update

Ok, a little update,
    because of the cutting to fit in the Power supply, the whole case became somewhat unstable. (read: flimsy)
    I am looking into it now to see if I can fix it. otherwise i will be replacing the whole thing with a custom made aluminium or steel case. drawback of that is that te builing process will take even longer... :?

Visuaguy

Portal Member
    October 31, 2005
    Haarlem, the netherlands
    MichaelK said:
    sounds great. I also have an old Cyberhome DVD and was not sure if
    the dimension are ok for that. Can you post a picture of your Case ?

hmm, i wrecked it allready, i will see what i can do
    new chassis from alu is coming along, when the motherboard is in place, i will post pictures

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Re: Update

Visuaguy said:
    Ok, a little update,
    because of the cutting to fit in the Power supply, the whole case became somewhat unstable. (read: flimsy)
    I am looking into it now to see if I can fix it. otherwise i will be replacing the whole thing with a custom made aluminium or steel case. drawback of that is that te builing process will take even longer... :?

Anyone ever thought of putting the PSU in an external box and extending all the power leads ?

/James

Visuaguy

Portal Member
    October 31, 2005
    Haarlem, the netherlands
    Re: Update

James said:
    Anyone ever thought of putting the PSU in an external box and extending all the power leads ?

/James

I did think of that, It would save lots of space. The only thig is that i could not find a nice way to connect it all and finding a 200 watts external power supply was an impossible task too.

Anyway. I have made my aluminium (1,5mm thick, so pretty solid) bottom half of the case. and everything fits (pretty crammed but still).
    next task is to fit in all the leds and buttons.. well only two buttons, eject and power.
    after that, finish it with a nice top half (basic bended plate) and a custom front. (which will be a real piece of art. hint: front panel designer
    it will all take some time, but it will look like a genuine piece of hifi equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom