New HTPC need recommendations. (1 Viewer)

allanw

Portal Member
August 11, 2007
Home Country
Hi Everyone

I am currently in the process of building a new HTPC which was originally intended on being just a client
as I already have a server setup running TV server. I have been thinking though and would like to do a
single seat installation due to the following reasons:

1. My server rarely streams any media to more than 1 client.
2. The only purpose of the server is for TV server and media storage.

Considering this I don't think its worth having the server any longer and my plan now is to build a single
HTPC capable of watching 1080p content and maybe recording one digital TV channel at the same time. Here
is what I have worked out so far:

Origen AE S10V case (ordered and waiting for delivery)
ASUS M3N78-VM (ordered and delivered)
AMD 4850e
2 x 2GB Kingtson DDR2 800Mhz RAM
2 x 1TB Western Digital Green Power drives
DNTV Live Dual Hybrid PCI-E S3 (already own, is currently being used in server)
silent CPU cooler (undecided at this point)
Slimline DVD drive (undecided at this point)

I would like to get peoples opinions as to whether this hardware will be enough for a single seat installation
where most of the time it will be used just to watch TV or a movie with the ability to possibly record a
channel while watching some HD content (mkv file) at the same time. I guess my main concern is whether the
CPU is up to the job or should I consider a faster CPU. My main goal with this machine is low power,
low noise, low heat and compact size so please keep that in mind when recommending different hardware
options.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Hi Everyone

I am currently in the process of building a new HTPC which was originally intended on being just a client
    as I already have a server setup running TV server. I have been thinking though and would like to do a
    single seat installation due to the following reasons:

1. My server rarely streams any media to more than 1 client.
    2. The only purpose of the server is for TV server and media storage.

Considering this I don't think its worth having the server any longer and my plan now is to build a single
    HTPC capable of watching 1080p content and maybe recording one digital TV channel at the same time. Here
    is what I have worked out so far:

Origen AE S10V case (ordered and waiting for delivery)
    ASUS M3N78-VM (ordered and delivered)
    AMD 4850e
    2 x 2GB Kingtson DDR2 800Mhz RAM

Probably more than enough ram atm. 2gb plenty. ram is cheap though, so no huge outlay for the additional 2gb. I run my machine with 2gb (vista) and no swap file, and its very quick.

2 x 1TB Western Digital Green Power drives
    DNTV Live Dual Hybrid PCI-E S3 (already own, is currently being used in server)
    silent CPU cooler (undecided at this point)

Scythe ninja mini is an excellent choice, they're a little pricey but can be run passively so a great way to get 0 noise. You may have some cooling constraints because of the matx case. If you want the machine silent there may be a compromise between using a case this small and a full-form factor enclosure.

Slimline DVD drive (undecided at this point)

I would like to get peoples opinions as to whether this hardware will be enough for a single seat installation
    where most of the time it will be used just to watch TV or a movie with the ability to possibly record a
    channel while watching some HD content (mkv file) at the same time. I guess my main concern is whether the
    CPU is up to the job or should I consider a faster CPU. My main goal with this machine is low power,
    low noise, low heat and compact size so please keep that in mind when recommending different hardware
    options.

4850e will do that fine.

My only reservation would be about using the 8200 on the M3N78-VM as your GPU. I guess worst case scenario if its not great would be to add something like a passive 4550 radeon - these are very cheap and ample for perfect fullhd/1080p, but you'll see soon enough how it runs and its not a huge outlay to add a discrete gpu if needed. I would be very interested to hear your results playing 1080p with the 8200.

What will you be using as PSU? (couldnt see one included with the Origen AE S10V)

allanw

Portal Member
    August 11, 2007
    Home Country
    I was originally going to go with 2GB of RAM but like you said it's cheap at the moment (only $10 AU extra for another 2GB in fact) so 4GB will be great.

The scythe mini ninja looks good but is just a bit too high for my case so I have been looking at the Scythe Shuriken which seems to have some good reviews.

The 8200 will definately be something I try out with the possibility of having to get a low profile video card if needed. I will definately keep you posted once the machine is built and I have tried out some 1080p content using the 8200.

As for the PSU I hadn't decided yet but was thinking of the lowest watt PSU that antec make that has modular cables. I have used Antec for a while and I have always been happy with their products. The reason I want to go modular cabling is to keep as much free space inside the case as possible to increase air flow. Im not worried if it's not silent, I just need it to be fairly quiet.

The case arrived this afternoon and it looks absolutely fantastic I can't wait until I start getting enough parts arriving to get into building it. Thanks for your reply too it's been good getting some feedback.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    I was originally going to go with 2GB of RAM but like you said it's cheap at the moment (only $10 AU extra for another 2GB in fact) so 4GB will be great.

its amazing how much it has come down in price in recent years. $10 for 2gb is just incredible.

The scythe mini ninja looks good but is just a bit too high for my case so I have been looking at the Scythe Shuriken which seems to have some good reviews.

The 8200 will definately be something I try out with the possibility of having to get a low profile video card if needed. I will definately keep you posted once the machine is built and I have tried out some 1080p content using the 8200.

As for the PSU I hadn't decided yet but was thinking of the lowest watt PSU that antec make that has modular cables. I have used Antec for a while and I have always been happy with their products. The reason I want to go modular cabling is to keep as much free space inside the case as possible to increase air flow. Im not worried if it's not silent, I just need it to be fairly quiet.

The case arrived this afternoon and it looks absolutely fantastic I can't wait until I start getting enough parts arriving to get into building it. Thanks for your reply too it's been good getting some feedback.

Exciting stuff! Sounds like you're on your way to a great new machine. Enjoy! :)

allanw

Portal Member
    August 11, 2007
    Home Country
    It wasn't cheap here either:) I love it though its the nicest looking case I have ever had.

The CPU might but up for change as I am having problems locating anyone with the 4850e in stock so I may end up having to go with a 5200+ but I would prefer to avoid having to do that.

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    It wasn't cheap here either:) I love it though its the nicest looking case I have ever had.

The CPU might but up for change as I am having problems locating anyone with the 4850e in stock so I may end up having to go with a 5200+ but I would prefer to avoid having to do that.

Does that case take standard height PCI cards or do they need to be half height?

allanw

Portal Member
    August 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for the link, I had checked out those places and emailed any that don't list stock levels as the rest are reporting no stock but no one bothered to reply. I am trying to decide whether I wait for them to come back in stock or just go with a 5200+.

Alexeix the case takes half height PCI cards only.

allanw

Portal Member
    August 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Just an update here. I ran some tests and the 8200 chipset was not enough for HD content so I now have an ATI 4350 and a clean install of windows is going on it as I type. The only issue I have now is that it seems to be quite hot around the CPU and northbridge area of the case (although the CPU cooler itself is fairly cool). If anyone else has this case and added any extra cooling I would like to hear about it.

Hopefully within a fortnight I will be ready to post up some pics in the completed projects section:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom