*NEW* InfoService v1.62 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather [07-01-2011] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Re: *NEW* InfoService v1.6 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather [06-06-2010]

I am fine with what the text says. I think it is good. The problem is that the feeds never display. When do the services finish updating?

What do you mean "It'll be replaced if feeds or twitter services are disabled and also updated once the update is executed" How do you update within GUI while on BasicHome? As it is now, turning off the update at startup option seems to effectively disable Infoservice feeds on Basic Home.

I originally requested that option last year - see this post and the solution then was to just display the feeds without updating them which worked great for me.

Joz reported the same issue in this post and I thought it had been fixed then, but seems to have reappeared?

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Re: *NEW* InfoService v1.6 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather [06-06-2010]

Do you have update interval set (option Refresh feed every (min))? I haven't checked but that text should be replaced with feed text when the update interval is reached.. So, first the "wait..." text will be shown then after xx minutes it should be replaced.. Also, same for Twitter..

I have update on startup enabled, and right now, I'm struggling to see why this is even optional...

Oh and BTW, this worked here.. I turned off "update on startup", and set to update every 3 minutes.. At first i saw "Wait until..." text, then, after 3 minutes, feed text was displayed.. I haven't had any interaction with MePo, just leaved it in BasicHome screen...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Ahhh, it updates after the interval! DUH! Of course (I set mine to 30 min or an hour or so)

The reason I originally requested this option is because many users around the world do not have high bandwidth or reliable connections. I am one of those :p. If I keep update on startup enabled, then often there is a huge delay opening MP with Infoservice enabled.

Now that the behaviour has changed to display the feeds only after the update interval, you are right, this option is pretty useless. The original idea/request was just to display the last known feed without updating it. I don't really need or want my feeds updated every minute, but I would like to see them even if I haven't updated them.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia

On start up, there is no cache of feed or twitter items.. Feeds have to be downloaded for at least one time to show and cache data.. Then, if next refresh fails, cache will be used..

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Well in 1.32 feeds displayed even when the update option was turned off. I am sorry to lose this functionality. I would not think it would be difficult to save the cache and reuse it on startup if update is off. But thats up to you guys. It just makes Infoservice almost unusable for me.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia

edsche would be better one to answer this because I joined after 1.32 and don't recall any cache saving on exit..

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: *NEW* InfoService v1.6 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather [06-06-2010]

Caching of the feed should be no problem, but i think a feed/twitter timeline should be up-to-date. My suggestion would to add an option or to replace the "update on startup" option with an option to disable the download of the feed/twitter pictures. This will speed up the download a lot, even with low bandwidth you should see the feed in several seconds. Also this is easy to add, because the option to download a feed or the twitter timeline with or without images is already implemented in the code, but not used for now.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Sounds like a good performance improvement. I don't think you should do things just for one user, but if you think it would benefit others as well that would be great.

howudodat

Portal Pro
    February 20, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

I have one bug and one feature request
    bug: when I select a headline to "read" it's actually an audio file,it popups an ie (I think) window asking me if I want to save or open the mp3. It would be more appropriate if it simply played the file in MP.

request: the news feed is a magazine of articles. It is layed out as:
    issue
    Title 1...end
    next issue
    Title 1 ... end
    The list however is showed as linear with the most recent first...so it would be nice if you could show it heirarchical, or if you could sort by oldest first

Peter

neelex

Portal Pro
    March 16, 2009

Hi,

just a question to the "waiting until other services are finished" message.

I'm using the mp touch plugin (Link). There's a ticker line shown on the secondary monitor the plugin provides. If I disable the feed ticker (uncheck "feed ticker enabled") , the ticker line is away from the main screen, but still shown on the secondary display with the message above. I would expect to see the message only when "update on startup" is disabled, but not when the ticker is completely disabled ;) On the one hand the message is generated by the infoservice plugin. On the other hand the disabling works on the main skin, but not on the plugin's provided secondary screen. I'm not sure if there must be a change in the infocervice plugin or in the touch plugin. What do you think about?

Cheers,
    Neelex

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom